Charging Laptop LiPo Battery with adjustable power supply only?

Se7en Axis

Joined Jan 10, 2019
Hello

I am trying to charge the battery of an ASUS laptop, given that the charger is gone I simply want to charge the battery enough to ensure that the laptop still powers on and works, the battery is a LiPolymer 7.6V with 5000mA/h Capacity(38Wh).

With a multimeter connected to the battery, I have a steady ~0V so is this even possible to be charged? I tried charging at 7.2V and limited current to 5000mA and there is no current being drawn at all, anybody could help me out as to what I may be doing wrong?

P.s this is the battery in question : C21N1530

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Hello

I am trying to charge the battery of an ASUS laptop, given that the charger is gone I simply want to charge the battery enough to ensure that the laptop still powers on and works, the battery is a LiPolymer 7.6V with 5000mA/h Capacity(38Wh).

With a multimeter connected to the battery, I have a steady ~0V so is this even possible to be charged? I tried charging at 7.2V and limited current to 5000mA and there is no current being drawn at all, anybody could help me out as to what I may be doing wrong?

P.s this is the battery in question : C21N1530
The only hope you have of recovering the battery is if you can access the actual terminals of the battery without disconnecting the protection circuitry. You can then charge the battery with your supply until the protection circuit resets.
TAKE CARE TO NOT SHORT OUT THE BATTERY!

Se7en Axis

Joined Jan 10, 2019
Thanks to both of you, I took the wrapping off and can now see the current protection board along with the two LiPo cells connected to it in series.

Both cells were at 2.7V and I charged them back up to ~3.7V having my power supply limited at 5Ah and 4.1V.

Everything works flawlessly now thanks to the fast and accurate reply from the both of you :)