I was looking at some of these little Li-Ion car battery jump kits and started wondering how exactly they worked. Obviously it won't charge the battery to full but can dump enough power through to get the engine going. I'd think that the 18 or 20v battery packs would work similarly to this if in a pinch but would have to keep an eye on the pack to make sure it doesn't overheat.
My question is how voltage works while charging a battery. If a 12v needs charged and a 24v charger is used (I know this isn't recommended and can be dangerous, but this is theoretical), does it charge 2x as fast as if the same current is used with 12v?
So if 12v @ 5 amps is used vs 24v @ 5 amps, will the battery have 2x the charge after the same period of charging? I know this is how electricity works with motor usage but when dealing with electrolytic charging, does the extra voltage still stay in the battery or is it lost as heat or gas generation?
I know some batteries hold a charge higher than their stated voltage after charging for a short time, but the "bulk' of the charge is at the stated voltage. Is this directly related to the charging voltage or is it related to the battery characteristics?
My question is how voltage works while charging a battery. If a 12v needs charged and a 24v charger is used (I know this isn't recommended and can be dangerous, but this is theoretical), does it charge 2x as fast as if the same current is used with 12v?
So if 12v @ 5 amps is used vs 24v @ 5 amps, will the battery have 2x the charge after the same period of charging? I know this is how electricity works with motor usage but when dealing with electrolytic charging, does the extra voltage still stay in the battery or is it lost as heat or gas generation?
I know some batteries hold a charge higher than their stated voltage after charging for a short time, but the "bulk' of the charge is at the stated voltage. Is this directly related to the charging voltage or is it related to the battery characteristics?