Charging a Tablet that Requires 2A, with a 1A AC Adapter

Zohar

Joined Nov 19, 2015
Hi

Imagine this scenario:

You have a Tablet that requires a 5v 2A AC Adapter, for charging,
and you only have your cellphone's AC Adapter with you.
The cellphone's AC Adapter is 5v, but 1A.

Is it OK to connect a 1A AC Adapter to a device that requires 2A for charging?

There are 2 options that I can think of, regarding this situation..
1) It is OK, and the AC Adapter will simply give its maximum current - 1A, which means that the tablet will need twice the time in order to charge.
2) It is not OK, since the AC Adapter might "burn", or in the better case, it might notice more than 1A is taken, and then shut itself down..

Which of the 2 is going to happen?

Thank you all

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Typically, devices using USB type chargers use the extra two wires to signal the current available. If they don’t recognize the expected charger, they will pull the USB port default, which is 500mA. So the answer might be that it will take four times longer to charge.

Bob

Zohar

Joined Nov 19, 2015
Interesting.
Thank you very much.

BTW, how frequent is the situation that I described in #2?
(#2 = the Tablet will pull 2A, and the AC Adapter will either get ruinted, or shut itself down, until "normal" current is pulled from it - meaning less than 1A, which is what it knows and can give)

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Interesting.
Thank you very much.

BTW, how frequent is the situation that I described in #2?
(#2 = the Tablet will pull 2A, and the AC Adapter will either get ruinted, or shut itself down, until "normal" current is pulled from it - meaning less than 1A, which is what it knows and can give)
It should never happen..
The tablet can see that the charger is not capable of full/fast charge and goes into "slow charge" mode..