Changing the switching frequency for a LED driver

Zouglou LeMagicien

Joined Feb 12, 2019
Hello,

For a school project, I need to understand a schema of a LED driver from my teacher and then plug it on a PCB.

The last thing that I'm bloqued on, is the change of the switching frequency by an open collector comparator.
Here is the schema :
1575409779490.png
My teacher is saying that the way to change the commutation frequency is to change the resistance R2 and R3 (also the inductance but here I can not). I do understand why we need in this comparator a pull up resistor for the BJT collector but I don't understand the negative feedback...
Also, He says that D5 was useless because it as no current throught it. Anyone does have another answer ? :p

Here is also the LtSpice for this one.

Hope someone has a good answer to this !

Attachments

Last edited:

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
your U4 is wired so that the more current at R4 the more negative it goes / the more positive the U3 goes / the more negative the U5 goes - thus forcing the U1 more to SGND

i donno what the LTC4441-1 does

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
There are several people working on this project.
He says that D5 was useless because it as no current throught it.
True. useless
but I don't understand the negative feedback...
It looks like positive feedback across U1
---edited---
I think this is not working the way you teacher thinks it is. So you are going to get blamed for that. Sorry.

Last edited:

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
It looks like positive feedback across U1
the phenomena is labelled "Hyst"eresis on the schematic ?

i don't want to dig into another d/s . . . the mystery item is the V4 ? a square wave source . . . suppose it gets modulated by current sense feedback and relatively tiny but semi-logarithmic hysteresis on LM311(/LT1011) ??? - - but it's a square wave not the sawtooth -- which unlikely gets trapetzoidal at that timing . . .

Zouglou LeMagicien : see page 9 (they say that RDVcc is regulated from 5 to 8V . . . you bypass the built in regulator in a way that is not confirmed safe)

Last edited:

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
Check the voltage of the AD712 operating amplifier inputs. This voltage is substantially higher than the operating amplifier's supply voltage. This is very bad!