Celebratory sleestak hands

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Beware the sleestak with 1000posts. Here I will share the new gloves I am forced to wear at work.

They remind me of something that should be sold with a sleestak haloween costume.

How am I supposed to get any work done with motocross gloves on?

Attachments

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Welcome to the "more-than-1000-posts-side". I just passed it too. Let's how long it'll take you to get to Sgt's post quantity :D

These are the gloves I was forced to use just to open an UPS and do some measurements far away from high bus voltages.... impossible to do, I couldn't even hold the multimeter probes :eek:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
lol. I had to use gloves like that in the Navy. One specific instance I can recall wearing a suit that is effectively a bull-body wool blanket suit, running through a submarine blindfolded with a breathing mask on (with no air input, so effectively a face-sealing suffocator) holding a someing incredibly heavy (don't remeber what) wearing those gloves (don't remember why), looking for something (don't remember what) that I didn't know existed. ah drills...

I also had to do PMs on those gloves. Quarterly check them for pinholes by inflating them by mouth and rolling them up.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Let's how long it'll take you to get to Sgt's post quantity :D
Well, at 1000 posts in 1 year, it would take me like 14 years, and in 14 years SGT will probably be >1million, so it's a lost cause.
There's that, and 1 of SGT's posts is about as helpful as 5 of mine, so you work the math on that one.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Those high voltage gloves were worn with leather gloves. Yep, using a multimeter with both the rubber insert and the leather glove was interesting.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Do you wear gloves to solder, at work or at home? Soldering in gloves for fear of lead poisoning is a fairly recent (few years) innovation in the organisation I work for. I suspect that in this country we may be have been a bit behind the times in that respect.

The new rules have not been very popular with some operators though, as it can make their work harder as well as more uncomfortable. Some people get skin problems in direct contact with the polymer gloves, and so they may be offered cloth gloves to put on first. The combination can hardly do much for their feel and dexterity.

Before some bright spark points out that lead solders are being prohibited, note that so far this has not been applied to certain very high-reliability equipment, used for instance in space or submarine systems. Because of nervousness about tin whisker growth, lead-containing solders are still used in some such applications.

As for myself, my health has been ruined by other factors, so I don't bother about wearing gloves to solder at home. I must confess to never having given the matter much thought, despite having mostly used 60/40 Sn/Pb. It does occur to me though that this may not have been very healthy for me as a youngster, but that's water under the bridge now. Unlike some modern youths, I was allowed to get an iron pretty early.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I've never heard of soldering with gloves to prevent lead poisoning. But I don't work in an electronics assembly plant. I would say that I probably solder more than anyone in my plant, and soldering probably accounts for 5% of my job.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
My best days for soldering are over anyway, as neither my sight nor my dexterity are up to much these days. I'm strongly discouraged from soldering at work too, also because of my decrepit condition.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Oh geez...I've been soldering for 45 years with no gloves. What are the symptoms? Signing up for internet forums?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
the reason for the green motocross gloves is not soldering; they are to be used any time "pinch points" are present. An idea I find almost completely laughable. I encounter 50+ pinch points before I walk in the front door of work; should I wear the gloves home? I could smash my finger in my desk drawer; should I wear the gloves at my desk? Even if I were only typing on my computer; I have rolled my chair against my desk before and smashed my fingers between the armrest and the desk, so the "pinch point" exists even there. Don't forget to put the gloves on before you go closing doors; that's a potential pinch point as well. I may sound like I'm on a rant (because I am) but the "situations" as described by management in which these gloves are to be worn literally present no greater risk of smashing ones finger than smashing it in a desk drawer. And I have seen people lose a fingernail smashing in a door or desk drawer. That's what the gloves are in response to; 2 people (one too many) smashed their fingers and lost fingernails in the same quarter, so according to company policy some measure had to be taken. If that second guy could have just waited till next quarter to smash his finger...grrr..