CE Certification for UK & Europe

Hurdy

Joined Feb 27, 2006
Hi everyone,

I need some information about CE certification within Europe, most importantly for the UK.

Does anyone know what circuits must comply with to be CE certified?
How do you go about getting CE certification?

Also I need some advice on PCB manufacturing.
I have been browsing the internet and found several pieces of software that can design PCBs. If I were to then get a PCB of a circuit made how would the manufacturers be able to access my PCB design if they say use a different piece of software on their machines? Or do all pieces of PCB software create some kind of file that is standard throughout the industry?

Concerning surface mounting components would the PCB manufacturers do this process or are there other companies that take that role? Also if I were to use a surface mount PIC, how would I go about getting the PIC programmed with the required code? As the PIC programmer I have is made for PICs that are the size for DILs.

Thank you for your time,

Rob

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by Hurdy@Mar 19 2006, 10:25 AM
Hi everyone,

....Also I need some advice on PCB manufacturing.
I have been browsing the internet and found several pieces of software that can design PCBs. If I were to then get a PCB of a circuit made how would the manufacturers be able to access my PCB design if they say use a different piece of software on their machines? Or do all pieces of PCB software create some kind of file that is standard throughout the industry?
Do a google search on "gerber files". Gerber formatted files are the generally accepted format for communicating the information associated with a PDB layout to the PCB etcher.

Concerning surface mounting components would the PCB manufacturers do this process or are there other companies that take that role? Also if I were to use a surface mount PIC, how would I go about getting the PIC programmed with the required code? As the PIC programmer I have is made for PICs that are the size for DILs.

Thank you for your time,

Rob
[post=15181]Quoted post[/post]​
As for populating a surface mount board with the components, there are companies that will take your gerber files along with the parts list for your board and manufacture the entire package sending you the completed assembly.

hgmjr

bigbigblue

Joined Mar 15, 2006
Originally posted by Hurdy@Mar 19 2006, 03:25 PM
I have been browsing the internet and found several pieces of software that can design PCBs.
Was one of those my favourite package - DipTrace (www.diptrace.com)? I have no connection with Novarm Software other than being a very satisfied customer. It is certainly worth giving it a try - and yes it ouputs industry standard Gerber files.

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by Hurdy@Mar 20 2006, 02:25 AM

Also if I were to use a surface mount PIC, how would I go about getting the PIC programmed with the required code? As the PIC programmer I have is made for PICs that are the size for DILs.
[post=15181]Quoted post[/post]​
What I do to program them is to put a 10 way header on the PCB that is connected to the required pins on the PIC. You can then plug a cable from your PIC programmer to your new PCB and all should go fine. Having said this I use AVRs but it is all the same theory.

Hurdy

Joined Feb 27, 2006
Thank you all for your help.

That's a good idea windoze, never thought of that :).

Thank you again everyone.