CD4069ub

Rissy

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Am I right in thinking, despite its fancy name "Hex Inverter", it's just a signal inverter, or more commonly known, a NOT gate?

If i stick 9V into an input on this chip, will I get 0V out and visa versa?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
...despite its fancy name "Hex Inverter"...
'Hex' is not fancy. It just means 'six'. As in, six inverters.

If i stick 9V into an input on this chip, will I get 0V out and visa versa?
If your Vdd is 9V, then, yes, you will get approximately 9V from an unloaded output. But that 9V will be at a relatively high impedance (compared to, say, Vdd). If you load the output, it will not be 9V.

Rissy

Joined Nov 23, 2015
I looking at a possible different approach for a circuit i'm discussing in another thread. I'm looking at the possiblity of moving away from NAND gates and using a combination of other chips, one of which would be the use of a NOT gate. So this is why i was checking this chip out.

The logic would be for the simple use of switching transistors, and letting them pass through the real working voltage for automotive LEDs to work from.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
At least when you are in the basic learning stage, get first a working circuit. Once there, start to minimize, keeping in mind that, maybe, to save gates you could end adding another IC.

As it was said, NANDs or NORs could make and inverter as well.

BTW, it seems to me that the circuit in your other thread should be forgotten and reworked from scratch. It could come to be surprisingly simpler. Just to say something, unless you need it for timing, two inverters, one after the other are better eliminated and you will still be happy.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Start with a truth table showing the various input and output states, then determine the logic chips you'll need.
Like atferrari says, the circuit in your other thread should be pretty simple..