CC1111

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
RF, uC, and USB SoC... oooohhh - how nice! NOT!

I'm so sick of this damn chip... it's the hardest chip to understand ever... TI has all of it's SimpliciTI's and HUD's, and MRFI's, and BSP's, and USB's, and HID's, and CDC's, and SmartRF's... and wave a magic wands... and the documentation is awful... mostly non-existent... and you have to use IAR... probably the worlds worst IDE.

I'm ready to throw this thing out of a #@(@#(^&*^$ airplane!

I'm in a foul mood... can you tell?

No questions... just a rant.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
Just an update. I finally was able to understand this chip a bit after a really steep learning curve. I actually had to get with a coworker at work with about 30 years experience in software to get some explanations on how all of the different C files work together to form API's for each subset of the chip. Once I understood the file structure and the API's, I was on my way. It also took me a while to realize that my software needed to continually pole the USB port for instructions from the host... that was also another growing pain. I'm just thankful that I didn't have to write my own API. That would have probably taken another several months because the USB spec appears to be very complicated.

After struggling with this chip for two months... I'm finally getting to the point where I'm moving along at a decent clip. This is not a chip that I'd suggest a person get into if their only past experience is the MSP430G2553! :p

It will be nice being able to put this RF/USB SoC on my resume now that I understand the chip.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
vortmax Microcontrollers 2