Career advice - when to stand on principle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I agree to give it some more time. It doesn't look good on your resume when you have a bunch of 1 year jobs. I will add though, that in the next year at your present company (should you stay) you collect video/pictorial/etc. evidence of every awesome thing you do. As long as it's not a government secret project and as long as you don't record any company proprietary stuff (if you signed an agreement) you should be good. Pretend I'm the one who is going to interview you for your next job. All I know is that you said on the internet that you did a bunch of awesome stuff. Where's the proof? Shall I call your present employer for verification? Might be a little awkward tomorrow at work. Especially if he tells me that you're a sh*tbag, just to ruin your chances with my double salary job out of spite.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
....Part of the problem I have trying to counter this argument is that I can’t just come out and tell him I know that the other two guys I was hired with still make significantly more than me...
Wait until 5 years from now when they hire someone else straight out of college and pay him/her more than you. Or wait until you get promoted to manage a department and find out that two of the guys you are supervising are making 30% more than you. Or wait until you have do do a salary plan for the department you are managing and find out that you have 2% of last years' total salary budget to spread around in your department for raises, no matter how well everyone in your department is performing. Or wait until...never mind; I could go on and on.

If you are expecting fair treatment in corporate America, get over it or you'll be disappointed most of the time.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Is it just me or did half of the replies to this thread just now appear? When I replied to this thread (post #21) it was on page 1. some of the replies I see on page 1 and 2 were on page 1, others were not. It's as if the server came in and retroactively added replies between existing replies.

Specifically I am sure that posts #4, #8, #10, #11, #12, #13, and #17 were not here at the time I replied.

EDIT: also, for a very long time (several hours) the forum has seemed dead. I click on "new posts" and refresh every 15min-30min and list remains the same. I found it odd that the forum was completely and utterly inactive, which is why I went back to some of my old threads and found this one, with the ghost replies.

EDIT #2: created a new thread for server issues.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Last night between 9 and 11 EST it was dead here, but I assumed everybody else was watching my favorite TV shows. Never thought about blaming the server, but that's just me.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Last night between 9 and 11 EST it was dead here, but I assumed everybody else was watching my favorite TV shows. Never thought about blaming the server, but that's just me.
Ironic that you should reply, since your first reply (#2) to "How do I wire these inputs? (Guitar Amplifier)" has been at the top of my "new posts" list (refreshed regularly) since I started drinking...

EDIT: DOH! shot down my credibility there. I guess it was a delusion after all...

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Go apply at other places and see what your offered. Then let them know heres what this company wants to pay me, I'd like to stay here but I need X amount to stay. If your worth it they'll pay it. If not, they won't.
Little bit of advice: NEVER DO THAT!

All companies go through good and bad times, and somebody is paid pretty close to what the managers believe they are worth. If you had been working for less than a year and came up to me with that line, you would be the first one on the block, since you were "already looking for another job" anyway.

It is NOT revenge, it's simple fact. If somebody sticks around the first year (most don't last 6 months), they get a new pay grade of an amount based on: they've exceeded performance in ALL Areas, not just programming, but teamwork, attendance, interest in future of company other than being paid by them, etc.

There have been excellent design people that have been fired because they were always whining about something or somebody else. This reduces everybody's productivity. Do Not Be That Guy. A decade ago, it was only people coming from union jobs expecting to get a raise every year for simply showing up. Today, with the amount of social media, people tend to over-value their strengths and completely ignore their weaknesses.

You have essentially two choices: Move to the higher paying job, where cost of living will most likely result in less spendable income, or get your work done, help with ideas, suggest improvements in processes if there is an obvious bottleneck, attend company outings, etc. Once you've been there 3 years, you'll be on the "other side", and people straight from college will be asking for a higher salary than offered, and you'll just roll your eyes.

If you didn't like the salary offered, you shouldn't have taken the job. Raises are usually 6 months, 1 year, and each year after that.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
"So use them as they are using you. Get the experience, and a base of operations until you can find something better.
While it is unlikely, in the time you look it is possible they will come around and give you a better deal. It has to come from them though."

I have to totally agree with this........

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Wait until 5 years from now when they hire someone else straight out of college and pay him/her more than you. Or wait until you get promoted to manage a department and find out that two of the guys you are supervising are making 30% more than you. Or wait until you have do do a salary plan for the department you are managing and find out that you have 2% of last years' total salary budget to spread around in your department for raises, no matter how well everyone in your department is performing. Or wait until...never mind; I could go on and on.

If you are expecting fair treatment in corporate America, get over it or you'll be disappointed most of the time.
Excellent post! And that's why people like the OP need to stand up for themselves.

I've been an employer and business owner in a number of businesses. By not taking action now, the OP is accepting a role as "that guy who works harder and better than everyone else, but accepts really shitty pay".

It's almost impossible to recover from that! The longer he waits the more that role is cemented and becomes a firm reality of his relationship with that company. It's almost impossible to "grow some balls" later, if you try that they won't take you seriously when you ask for pay rises, or if you push it they will think their "cash cow" has finally gone bad and fire you and get some other grade 4.0 victim straight from Uni who will do the work of two men for less than the pay of one.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Little bit of advice: NEVER DO THAT!
I disagree. Too just stick it out a couple years of getting lowballed so it looks better on your resume is a joke. I didn't say tell your job your looking or other employment. Have that secure before your approach your bosses. In the end of the day as you say its just business. Your not gonna wanna keep me around when I'm looking for another job, just as I don't wanna be around once I find a proper paying job. So keep it to yourself and find that better job, then if you like where your at give them the option to match your salary. Too many people in this field think your paychecks should just come reguardless of productivity. So try to secure a better paying job then when giving you notice tell you just wanted to be paid what the industry says your worth, any company will try to lowball you. And once you let it happen you've sent a msg to mng that your willing to work cheap. Soby then your really only option is to change place of employment to get better wages. About the resume with a bunch of 1 and 2 years jobs. This doesn't look to bad when your wage and title get better with each job. It says something when you get promoted in 2 months everywhere you go and keep getting better offers.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Enduring a layoff. Loss of a house, Working part time at two jobs until one that is suitable comes along. These experiences will cause one to re-consider 'quitting' a job just because someone else makes more money. It is from this background of instability that I make these suggestions. Making sure you are 'indispensable' to your employer will ensure longevity of employement.

THEN

A casual hint, in a jovial moment of conversation, of your desire for more pay will secure the attention of a manager who might fear losing your work input to a rival company, better than an ultimatum 'or else' situation. Such tactics cause people to react in defiance and most often backfire on the perpetrator. I say let your desire be known in a non-threatening way and wait to see what develops.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I'm getting a lot of work from one certain customer. Said customer used to have a full time electrical guy who thought he was indispensable. The story as was told to me, he asked for more money. They said no. A few months later he gave an ultimatum; "more money or I'm leaving." They showed him to the door, and then called me. He would be surprised to learn that, not only were they able to stay afloat with out him specifically, they were able to stay afloat without any full time electrical guy at all.

Similarly, I was surprised that my previous employer has not called me more often. I set up my company with the idea in mind that they would be lost without me, and would be calling me several times per week as things broke down and the other techs didn't know how to fix them. I was wrong. They've only called me a couple times in months. I thought for a while that they must have a grudge against me for some reason; "why haven't they called yet?" well I've spoken with my old boss and we are on good terms, professionally and as friends. They just haven't needed me. I wasn't as crucial to the operation of that plant as I thought I was. I swear though, while I was there, I felt like I was the glue that held the place together. I really was the only guy who knew how to fix most of their machines. Other people said it too, every day; "I don't know what we're going to do when you leave" (my resignation was announced several months in advance). Well, that's all fine and good. I may not be getting their business much, I am still getting plenty of business; enough to keep me well stressed out. It's understandable that they don't need me; they replaced me with 3 new guys. That's a nice little stroke to my ego.

The moral of the story is that they probably don't need you near as bad as you think they need you, and they would pay out several times your salary to hire several people to replace you, sooner than pay you several times your salary for doing the work of several people. I don't know why; doesn't make sense to me, but it seems that's the way they think.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
You took the job. Quit bitchin' and go find another one if you don't like the pay. My company insists that you perform above your salary grade for at least a year before they even consider giving you a promotion.

I bitched a lot when I was a level 1 and 2 employee. I'm now a level 3 engineer and I've realized that the time I spent in those positions was an appropriate amount of time, but I should have focused more on developing my knowledge than complaining about the company. The company has been VERY good to me in the long run. Hindsight is 20/20.

Having said that - our medical benefits have become ****-poor since I started 5.5 years ago. I imagine this is a trend in the industry though - so I don't complain too much.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Having said that - our medical benefits have become ****-poor since I started 5.5 years ago. I imagine this is a trend in the industry though - so I don't complain too much.
Hell if your getting health at all your doing good. The trend now is to hire everyone as contractors so their responsible for their health, or hire em all at 35 hours a week so they don't have to pay FT benefits. I fear FT work may become a thing of the past just because of benefits.

About the job pay thing, I've been in that exact situation before. I went my route with a hey! I got another offer for XX.XX an hour. I really wanna stay here but moneys money and I gotta get what I can while the gettings good. This is right before the 08 collapse. They got mad and fired me on the spot on the phone. Called back 2 minutes later saying they were sorry and it would be fine to meet my requirements and even then gave me a bonus. I just want to stress to have another job lined up already if your gonna go for this tactic. Be nice, be professional. If you can find that 70k+ a year job go for it and see what you can get. If your not getting many offers and everyone wants to pay you near the same as what your getting. May be you over-rated your skills and should stay put. Just use your head your a smart guy or you wouldn't be hanging out with us. ;)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
you're a smart guy or you wouldn't be hanging out with us. ;)
Odd...I say that to my friends.
You see, I don't suffer fools well. I can suppress that on a beginners site like this, but in day to day life, I like to be around sharp people. I can say to anyone I call a friend that he must be above average or he wouldn't be in this crowd.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Odd...I say that to my friends.
You see, I don't suffer fools well. I can suppress that on a beginners site like this, but in day to day life, I like to be around sharp people. I can say to anyone I call a friend that he must be above average or he wouldn't be in this crowd.
I'm the exact opposite. IRL I'm surrounded by dumbasses! Thats why I come to forums like these and will play in off topic just so I can talk to people that are intelligent even with different views and opinions.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I just got a note this week that I've been downgraded.
I do a technician's job, even though I have an engineering degree and teach engineers.
I've been told that I am over qualified for my position.
So now my salary is frozen until the pay scale catches up with my salary.
Now doesn't that just suck? Actually, my salary has been frozen in the past for similar reasons except this time I'm actually downgraded.
Should I quit my job and move on?
No way man! I have a very satisfying job and wouldn't trade it for anything, even three times the money!
One of these days people will come to understand when I say money is an illusion and a false god.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
No way man! I have a very satisfying job and wouldn't trade it for anything, even three times the money!
One of these days people will come to understand when I say money is an illusion and a false god.
That is the biggest thing to look for in a career vs. "a job".

There is nothing worse than dreading going to work each day, and spending most of the day waiting for it to be over, only to repeat. Many do not realize they'll happily take a pay cut for a job you actually look forward to going to each day!

Most of your life will be spent working, money alone is not sufficient reason to spend that time being miserable.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I just got a note this week that I've been downgraded.
I do a technician's job, even though I have an engineering degree and teach engineers.
I've been told that I am over qualified for my position.
So now my salary is frozen until the pay scale catches up with my salary.
Now doesn't that just suck? Actually, my salary has been frozen in the past for similar reasons except this time I'm actually downgraded.
Should I quit my job and move on?

Thats great you've found a job you would do for little money you enjoy it so much, but many of us aren't so lucky. We don't have a link to our job because they have treated us well or anything like that. There cut throat, you gotta be too. I envy you having a job where you don't mind getting pay cuts and downgrades when you have other options available. I'll take the money and fulfill my wishes on my own time for now.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
That is the biggest thing to look for in a career vs. "a job".

There is nothing worse than dreading going to work each day, and spending most of the day waiting for it to be over, only to repeat. Many do not realize they'll happily take a pay cut for a job you actually look forward to going to each day!

Most of your life will be spent working, money alone is not sufficient reason to spend that time being miserable.
Pete and Re-pete were in a boat, Pete fell out, who was left?

I worked with Action Target Largest Shooting Range Company in the World I was a repair Tech, Assisting R&D Engineers, I had power over QC&QA. I worked with 3 Engineers in 3yrs.

The Owner could squeeze a Penny so hard it would spit $ bills. They were abused and spit out for lack of results. They physically aged right in front of me. (The Owner, promising the Moon, if they could solve the current problem)

We have a lot of Tech Company's here, who don't want to pay top Dollar. This is a right to work State, you have the right to work or not. The choice is up to you. I enjoyed that position very much, but I like my New one better.

Good pay, good Environment. Those Engineers had little experience but, gained some in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.