Cardboard + wire wrap for simple circuits -- any reason why not?

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
I love wire wrapping. The new kids seem to turn their noises up at it. It is still the fastest, highest density prototyping method out there.

AK
The only reason reason a WW rework would be a problem is if it wasn't done correctly in the first place.
Agreed! wire-wrap is a much-maligned technique that is fast, easy to change, super robust and easy to perform.
Only drawbacks are limited current in #30 wires and poor performance at very high speeds.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Fun fact, wire wrap is (or was?) NASAs prototyping method of choice because it's strong enough to withstand vibration when launching into space

The wire actually cold welds to the posts, it's a lot stronger than most people assume

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Fun fact, wire wrap is (or was?) NASAs prototyping method of choice because it's strong enough to withstand vibration when launching into space

The wire actually cold welds to the posts, it's a lot stronger than most people assume
anaerobic connection, 40-year life time and 100,000 psi and quality of connection has high correlation to visual inspection of "correct appearance" - i.e. a microscope is needed sometimes to see a cold solder joint whereas, a bad wire wrap connection very likely looks bad as well.

Here is an interesting reference. https://www.tessco.com/yts/resourcecenter/pdfs/wirewrap.pdf
I am still looking for the story I ready about field inspection of wire-wraps.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Another suggestion would be to use white foam board:

foamboard.jpg
  • inexpensive
  • structurally stronger than cardboard
  • cleaner look
I should add that the socket is a wire-wrap socket with 30-gauge wire-wrap wire on the bottom side.

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Cardboard works & is used for a Christmas tree light waving flag. Still waving since 2004. Eleven WW sockets
use perfboard . A 3 level WW socket will loose 1 level with corrugated cardboard. I would use a template & pre punch holes one at a time with large pin.

wsprague

Joined Sep 22, 2015
Another suggestion would be to use white foam board...
Could you post a picture of the underside?

I think foam board is what I will use. I imagine writing the page number etc. on the circuit, maybe save my cardboard fascination for the enclosure.

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
If saving cost is your objective, wire wrap may not be so cheap, unless you have a source of free sockets and wire. The board itself will be inexpensive compared to the cost of a socket. When I started out, I made things on cardboard, but not with wire wrap sockets. Just point-to-point wiring. In fact, if you have the money for wire wrap sockets, it would probably be cheaper to just get a solderless breadboard for $10-20, and plug wires in. It's a lot faster and easier for prototyping, too. I'm guessing that the kind of circuits you'll be building at first won't be sensitive to layout, and will work just fine no matter how you wire them.