Car mod

Six_Shooter

Joined Nov 10, 2012
Well, what I meant was that if AAC allowed automotive modifications, it very well could end up like "the12volt.com".

How many people want a remote starting car vs. how many people would like to design a MFSK based modulator and encryption methods to fire a relay over a 2.4 GHz radio link? :)
That's why it would electronics project design and construction, not consumer electronics interfacing. ;)

It's quite easy to keep a site like this from becoming a site like the12volt.com. Limit it to electronics project design and construction. ;)

I know I'm one of the people that does want to create some non consumer available electronics, not just for my vehicles, but that is one reason.

The only sites (IMO) that should be in that link, are 3, the last 2 mentioned, http://www.electronicspoint.com/, http://www.electro-tech-online.com/, because they seem very similar to the interests of this forum, but so far as I can tell, allow automotive discussion (Which is what that thread is talking about), and ecomodder.com, because it deals with EVs, which is another interest of mine. I will be perusing those sites more, thank you. The12volt.com, while being handy for certain things, is more of a reference for consumer electronics interfacing, a different scope than what is being discussed here. So I guess I would say 4 sites, but the12volt.com, while it had potential to be a great site, didn't become great, because it's members for the most part did not want to get into or really understand the inner workings of the electronics. :(

The rest, are all pretty much enthusiast forums, that get the same things mentioned over and over again, and any electronics design would be an exception to the norm. Those are the sites that ask how to connect lights to a battery...

If anyone is interested in discussing EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) and related topics, I can post a link to a forum I am an admin of, that was set-up to specialize in discussions of OEM and aftermarket EFI, installation and tuning.

I guess in the end, if I post here, about a project I will need to say it's for something other than an automobile. :/

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Actually the automotive ban was installed pretty recently (relatively) I think it wasn't around when I first registered, back in the end of 2009. I think it started in the mid of 2010 and got progressively more strict.

The community got vexed at first but they got used to it in the end. The desire for more automotive mods is still there, though. I predict there would be a huge influx of users and posts if the ban was lifted, but we won't go down that road. Not in the near future and in the current situation.
We have allowed that lighter plug window, though.

It's just too big of a risk to take, if you want to be responsible of yourself and the site you own. AAC focuses on education and a flame/spam-free experience. That's our product. We don't do cars and that's about it.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
So what is automotive? Cars which are used to travel on public roads, or also cars which are used for instance on private grounds? Or is it also including nearly any kind of motorized vehicle for which you need a license?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Pretty much the last one. The ban includes also boats, if I recall correctly. However, we have allowed discussions on off-road DIY go-carts and other vehicles that aren't allowed in the road network.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Pretty much the last one. The ban includes also boats, if I recall correctly. However, we have allowed discussions on off-road DIY go-carts and other vehicles that aren't allowed in the road network.
This makes me Laugh Out Loud! No Boats? But offroad vehicles sometimes get exceptions? Well we haven't asked or brought it up but I'm about to build a 1/4th scale RC plane/drone. Are those banned to. Will run 22cc petrol

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Bill said that boats are excluded, so I 'm probably wrong.

Your drone will be ok. Tell me if you want help with its autopilot electronics. It's what I do the last 4 months.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Thanks I might. I've done it back in the day but help never hurts. Probably gonna go with a prebuilts PCB for GPS and control surfaces. I also plan on doing a boat. Ideally I want to make a UAV runs on solar power and uses sails. So I want to make a automated sailboat and see how far I can sail it on code before its lost to weather or mech failure. Should be a hell of a job but I think it could be done. Then I wanna sail it to Cuba and back. 90 miles. Plus if it broke I could go get it.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
You want to build an airplane that has sails? How will that work?

Solar power could be feasible, since weight is low, but the power electronics will be complex.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
No no no 2 seperate projects. 1 airplane large scale petrol. 2. Sail boat 3-4ft thats automated to take weather readings and sail the boat to GPS locations.