Car cigarette lighter adapter with USB car charger mod

kherova

Joined Apr 18, 2016
I bought a car cigarette lighter adapter that powers two usb devices, and I wanted to attach data wires to my stereo so that I can charge and play music at the same time. I assumed the adapter just threw power at the + and - pins, but stuff is hooked up to the data pins too. I'm not circuit savvy enough to know what the function of those components are for.
Can someone let me know what I would be doing if I isolate the D+ and D- usb pins from the board, and run them off elsewhere? I don't want to screw up the adapter or my mp3 player.
Appreciate it.usb.jpg

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Those place a voltage onto the data pins to make certain devices (such as an iPhone) think they have connected to a proper adaptor. Those devices will not charge at the higher current without that. There's quite a lot more detail of what's required at the MintyBoost project.

kherova

Joined Apr 18, 2016
Thanks for the fast reply. I definitely would want to put it in dock mode, not charging mode. So I'll isolate the data pins from the board, and research how to make it think it's in dock mode instead. Appreciate the Minty lead.