captchas for emails in posts

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
right, the current method is to just not put them in posts, what if tags were added, and then they choose what text to actually display, (like "email me") pretty much the same as a hyperlink.
Then, when posted, aac can query (or whatever) this site-
http://www.google.com/recaptcha/mailhide/
and get a code to insert

just a thought

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Why would you want to put your address in your post anyway? I like the way AAC manages your email and forwards you mail other people send you.

You can use that site if you want, I guess.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Well, I don't personally want my email in a post, but I see it happen quite a bit.
seems like it might be a decent feature to have.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
What exactly are you wanting to control? You have to option to turn email and PM off in your profile. Have you been spammed by either through this site?

Emails are also anonymous here unless you respond to someone else's email.

Captchas are a necessary evil for many sites, but I've never seen the need for them here. If a spammer gets through it is my duty and pleasure to zap them.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about if I wanted to put my email in a post here, like 12345@gmail.com, I often see mods remove that with the reasoning "email removed to prevent the user from being spammed"

[EDIT]
could become
.....@gmail.com

Except with a working captcha, I'm sure the admins/mods could do that, the actual code looks like this-
<a href="http://www.google.com/recaptcha/mailhide/d?k=01BwzKpOT3faPuSbxEmDEgJg==&c=NpFD1aYGQRho-2F_91Q20A==" onclick="window.open('http://www.google.com/recaptcha/mailhide/d?k\07501BwzKpOT3faPuSbxEmDEgJg\75\75\46c\75NpFD1aYGQRho-2F_91Q20A\75\075', '', 'toolbar=0,scrollbars=0,location=0,statusbar=0,menubar=0,resizable=0,width=500,height=300'); return false;" title="Reveal this e-mail address">.....</a>@gmail.com

anyway, just a thought

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Unless your scheme is different that what I think you are talking about it would make no difference, as they would harvest your address anyhow. The captcha might help if you linked to a captcha site like my email, but in that case you could do it outside the sites requirements.

Depending on the harvester's sophistication, they could still harvest your email address.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The only time I have seen people "need" to put their email address is when they are asking for schematics or help, inbox-delivered. In the rare case that someone really needs to share their address, it can be done through pm. My 2c.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Emails are also anonymous here unless you respond to someone else's email.
If you send an E-mail to someone via their profile, it gives your E-mail address to the recipient.

If you send a PM to someone via their profile, it does not give your E-mail address to the recipient.