Capacitor temperature test

JehanKhan

Joined Oct 24, 2011
Hello All and Good morning
I am trying to test the Electrolytic Capacitor temperature rise and then measure it with a IR camera. what i did is used to MOSFET with 50% duty cycle and connected to the inductor with the capacitor as a filtering capacitor and a load resistance to draw some amps of current. The peak triangular current i got about 3amps. For small capacitors it works better but i did not succeeded with a 330uf capacitor.
And i am thinking to do it with only MOSFET so that i can put as much stress as i can to generate a pulsating current in order to make the capacitor warm. I need advise about this idea. If i should do it? and if i can get some suggestions that would be great.

Thanks in advance

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
If you only use a MOSFET, what will keep the capacitor from charging up to a peak voltage and staying at that voltage? If the voltage across the capacitor doesn't change, there won't be any current to heat it up.

JehanKhan

Joined Oct 24, 2011
If you only use a MOSFET, what will keep the capacitor from charging up to a peak voltage and staying at that voltage? If the voltage across the capacitor doesn't change, there won't be any current to heat it up.
Yes you are right i put a resistor in parallel to it to discharge the capacitor. and it worked :)
thanks for the response anyway. cheers