Capacitor Issues

big_stag

Joined Oct 24, 2013
We recently (1 year) installed a new production parts cleaner. Installed with this cleaner for the heat source for the cleaning solution is electric heaters. There are two tanks with 4 3PH 480VAC 18KW heaters in each tank. From time to time it blows a main fuse 200A fo ther cleaner the same leg each time. Which also blows a 300A fuse that feeds to our plant capacitor bank.

Is there a correlation between the two?

I am not a Electric Engineer by no means...

Thanks

rmonroe

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
How old is the facility all this is in...?

That kind of wattage going to heat liquids, if it has a short duty cycle to maintain a given temp of the liquid, needs the physical connections of power cabling checked for loose or corroded / tarnished connections... and the contact condition of any relays that cycle within the circuitry...

3 Phase... are the lines in balanced w/ respect to the high voltage ? It sounds as though the one leg is working harder than the others ?
I am certainly no 'expert' either, there are others here that are likely to be better able to diagnose your issue...

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
We recently (1 year) installed a new production parts cleaner. Installed with this cleaner for the heat source for the cleaning solution is electric heaters. There are two tanks with 4 3PH 480VAC 18KW heaters in each tank. From time to time it blows a main fuse 200A fo ther cleaner the same leg each time. Which also blows a 300A fuse that feeds to our plant capacitor bank.

Thanks

rmonroe
Have you measured the current at each heater element? 200 amps seems awfully high for what you describe, is there anything else on that circuit. And how does the 300amp circuit figure in?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
There are two tanks with 4 3PH 480VAC 18KW heaters in each tank....

Working with 144kW is not a chore for an inexperienced person, and no expert here should feel comfortable offering remote advice to a beginner on a system they cannot see.

Be safe. Call a professional.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007

Thanks

rmonroe

I missed the the 4x the first time I read this:eek::eek: