Capacitor ID

markj

Joined Apr 29, 2009
Sorry to repeat this past 2009 question but the project has came up again.
Can any one help me with the identification of a capacitor I need to replace on a automotive control pannel. 12 V

It has what looks like an H logo on the top followed by the ref 2096 then underneath in smaller letters 9845 which could be the date of manufacture.

A recomended alternative would be great:)

ie

H

Its coloured orange/red approx 15mm in diameter
the panel was built buy Delco Electronics England

Cap.jpg

Thanks

Mark

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I agree with the MOV suggestion. Looks like the Harris logo. I didn't know they made MOVs at some point. They were big into radio communications.

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
If the ceramic package has a mat finish, it is very likely a capacitor.
If glossy, it is very likely a MOV.
First GE made MOVs, then Harris and now Littlefuse.
The "2096" may be a house number--manufactured to a customer's specification.
To recommend a substitute we must know the application--a schematic may also be necessary.
Do your best to read the 3rd line--it may offer an important clue.

Generally, they are good if there is not a hole melted through the case or if the leads have not been blown off.

markj

Joined Apr 29, 2009
Sorry no schematic - The PCB is for a dash unit on a GM auto so 12 volt. Its linked to the main inputs + and - and then a diode. The system is playing up only works after 5-10 mins from cold. So suspect this is used to start up the stepper motors. Also capacitor smells burnt? Info on Cap as follows.

H (or M)?

Thanks
Mark

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Try unsoldering one leg of it, and see if it is shorted. If not, it could be good - at least you would know that it is not loading down your supply voltage.

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
GM, due to high volume, would very likely purchase to a specification rather than a specific part number. My guess is that it is a low voltage MOV to deal with the harsh automotive electrical environment--perhaps 18 to 22V