Capacitor Basic

eknow

Joined Jan 30, 2007
Hi.. struggling with basics:confused:
A capacitor stores charge.. right.. so if I charge a capcitor to some high voltage and then if sb holds it accidentally would he/she get a slight shock from the charge present in the capacitor..

SANJ

Joined Jan 27, 2007
A capacitor stores charge.. right.. so if I charge a capcitor to some high voltage and then if sb holds it accidentally would he/she get a slight shock from the charge present in the capacitor..
OF COURSE.WHEN SB HOLDS A CHARGED CAPACITOR, THE STORED VOLTAGE IN IT GETS DISCHARGED THROUGH THE BODY OF THE PERSON WHO HOLDS IT. IT IS THEREFORE TAKEN AS AN SAFETY PRECAUTION TO DISCHARGE AN CAPACITOR BEFORE DE-SOLDERING IT.

Salgat

Joined Dec 23, 2006
OF COURSE.WHEN SB HOLDS A CHARGED CAPACITOR, THE STORED VOLTAGE IN IT GETS DISCHARGED THROUGH THE BODY OF THE PERSON WHO HOLDS IT. IT IS THEREFORE TAKEN AS AN SAFETY PRECAUTION TO DISCHARGE AN CAPACITOR BEFORE DE-SOLDERING IT.
Please don't do all caps.

Mazilla

Joined Jan 31, 2007
If you accidentally charge the capacitor by some high voltage and sb hands this one he/she becomes very happy :eek: :eek: :eek: .

note that capcitor is charged better throught a diode.
do the next:

Rich (BB code):
               that's diode
   <----------|<|---------------
                                | +
                               ---
   ~240                        ---    <-- that's cap. (not less than 10uF)
                                |
   <-----------------------------
To avoid short circuit in AC line use the resistor in serial with diode.
Capasitor will be charged up to 240 * sqrt(2) = 340 V. It should be enough to affect the result.

I recommend to use ampermetre to monitor the current value through victim of your experements (not less than 0.1 amps).

P.S.: plz don't do this