Capacitance measurement

ChipCircuit

Joined May 1, 2023
Hi,
How can I measure the capacitance of a variable capacitor of range 0.5pF to 5pF. Is it possible to measure this low capacitance using multimeter, currently I have a Fluke 87 V True RMS multimeter.
Thank you for your help!

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Hi,
How can I measure the capacitance of a variable capacitor of range 0.5pF to 5pF. Is it possible to measure this low capacitance using multimeter, currently I have a Fluke 87 V True RMS multimeter.
Thank you for your help!
I would expect the capacitance between the test leads to be more than that.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I can do it with my Siglent 5-digit bench meter by twisting the leads and then doing a zero reference with the minigrabbers attached to each other. I'd have to check its spec sheet to see what the accuracy is but it's pretty darn close. I also have an LCR meter but it is better for checking things like capacitor ESR leakage than measuring pF. You should be able to get decent results using the same method with the Fluke. Just loosely twist the leads together as much as possible with a set of minigrabber test leads. My bench meter though has a much faster sample rate than the Fluke so small changes and wait a few seconds for it to settle.

Edit: should have said MIGHT be able to, not sure what the range is on the Fluke 87.

Last edited: