Can i use silicone for secure/fix/ one Capac. El. 'pin' to the board ?

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
Hi.
From the back side one CE has not normal solder. Have used silver contained lacker to make a conductivity. The one 'pin' of the CE is maybe unstable and can moves a little.
I can use the stick silicone to fix it a little for the board, but don`t know if from some heat it`s gonna flows and makes something bad.
I attach one photo and have been marked that CE with arrow.

Greetings

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Get someone to help you solder it. The conductive adhesives has high resistance and is not as conductive (or permanent) as most would hope.

If you want to keep the part from moving on the top of the board, the silicon will work but keep it away from metal unless you know it is not a humidity cure silicone. Humidity-cure silicone give off acetic acid as they cure and it can rust metal. The best way to test is put a drop on a piece of paper and smell it after a few minutes. If it smells like vinegar, it is not good for metal.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
If you want to keep the part from moving on the top of the board, the silicon will work but keep it away from metal unless you know it is not a humidity cure silicone. Humidity-cure silicone give off acetic acid as they cure and it can rust metal. The best way to test is put a drop on a piece of paper and smell it after a few minutes. If it smells like vinegar, it is not good for metal.
^^This.. Glad you mentioned this Gopher..

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
Hi there.
Is`s me again.
If i make this 'test' how many minutes to wait to see this smell of vinegar?

If i find it`s not good for my case what to look for?
What`s the name of the substance that fixes some stuff and it:
will not be affeceted by heat
doesn`t have metal conductivity

Thanks in advance and MerrY Christmas;

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi there.
Is`s me again.
If i make this 'test' how many minutes to wait to see this smell of vinegar?

If i find it`s not good for my case what to look for?
What`s the name of the substance that fixes some stuff and it:
will not be affeceted by heat
doesn`t have metal conductivity

Thanks in advance and MerrY Christmas;
Immediately, unless you live in a very low humidity area. If the humidity is very low, Blow on it. The humidity in your breath will be enough moisture to get the smell.

If you don't mind a bit of rust on the steel frame, you can use the 'bad kind' of silicone. At least it solves your other problem.