Can I Switch Transistor from uC Output

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Ok so I received the circuit board and tested it out. It is able to switch the solenoid just fine but here are a few observations. When I measure the gate og mosfet (uC output) signal looks perfect. But when I measure at the drain, the signal looks inverted. Is this what i am supposed to see?
Yes. A positive voltage on the gate causes the MOSFET to conduct which naturally reduces the voltage at the source (assuming there is an impedance from the source to the supply voltage). Voltage inversion is a characteristic of all common-source or common-emitter amplifiers.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Yes. A positive voltage on the gate causes the MOSFET to conduct which naturally reduces the voltage at the source (assuming there is an impedance from the source to the supply voltage). Voltage inversion is a characteristic of all common-source or common-emitter amplifiers.
I think you meant to say,
"Yes. A positive voltage on the gate causes the MOSFET to conduct which naturally reduces the voltage at the DRAIN (assuming there is an impedance from the DRAIN to the supply voltage). Voltage inversion is a characteristic of all common-source or common-emitter amplifiers."

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I think you meant to say,
"Yes. A positive voltage on the gate causes the MOSFET to conduct which naturally reduces the voltage at the DRAIN (assuming there is an impedance from the DRAIN to the supply voltage). Voltage inversion is a characteristic of all common-source or common-emitter amplifiers."
Yes, I mixed up my source and drain. :p

circuit4pcb

Joined Feb 4, 2013
Ok thanks guys this makes sense. Now I see that my pull-in current shoots pretty high. Can I use a PWN for pull-in current as well to control the current spike? What are the effects of doing this?