Can I power this 12v water pump with USB

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Im planning to make my onw DIY aQuarium filter using this water pump

https://shopee.ph/WATER-PUMP-(For-water-refilling-station)-i.14369641.963145054

This water pump is 12v dc, Can i power it using usb then connected to power bank or computer?
The simple answer is NO.
A USB provides only 5 Volts DC, and cannot handle more than about 2 Amps.
You can use a Switching Voltage convertor to provide 12 volts from the 5 volts, but what is the current required by your pump? The USB will need to provide 2.5 times that current; can it?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

In the given link there is no information about the power rating of the pump.
Keep in mind that the USB port of a computer has a very limited output.

Bertus

kentpachi

Joined Mar 30, 2018
The simple answer is NO.
A USB provides only 5 Volts DC, and cannot handle more than about 2 Amps.
You can use a Switching Voltage convertor to provide 12 volts from the 5 volts, but what is the current required by your pump? The USB will need to provide 2.5 times that current; can it?
I was testing some motor in here and both works in 12v and 5v so i was thinking maybe this will work too

So if i use this 12v motor in 5v usb, maybe the motor in air pump runs slower?

the air pump only indicates 12v, dunno about more details on it

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
If you run then motor at a lower voltage, it may run, but will draw more current and run hotter. It may stall on load leading to permanent damage to motor and / or power supply.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Some air pumps are extremely efficient.
We use the air pump linked below our portable bait bucket and their battery life claims of 40 hours on a pair of D batteries (in parallel) is believeable. It seems to run forever on a single D cell. One of these should easily run from a USB power source using a buck converter to get down to 1.5v. Water pumps take a lot more energy though.. Why are you targeting USB as a power source?

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Metal...rd_wg=XoqHL&psc=1&refRID=CNMNQ55MP3242S6NQEKV

Ford Prefect

Joined Jun 14, 2010

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

What kind of pump are you trying to use?
In post #1 you are showing a waterpump.
In post #4 you are talking about an air pump.

A waterpump will consume much more power as an airpump.

Bertus

kentpachi

Joined Mar 30, 2018
hey everyone, thanks for your fast response

just answering some few Questions from the commenters:
*I want it to power usb because the little aQuarium i have is beside my pc and not to mention I want to power it to powerbank or my pc instead of a wall outlet which is very dangerous if the water touches it.
Airpump or waterpump, i saw some diy and you can use airpump as waterpump too.
I can actually power the 12v water pump using my power supply. Connect it you yellow wire which is 12v but as I said, I dont want a wall outlet or power supply just to power a water pump and my aQuarium is not that big actually.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
i have is beside my pc and not to mention I want to power it to powerbank or my pc instead of a wall outlet which is very dangerous if the water touches it.
I can actually power the 12v water pump using my power supply. Connect it you yellow wire which is 12v but as I said, I dont want a wall outlet or power supply just to power a water pump and my aQuarium is not that big actually.
So where is the PC powered from?
Actually a 120/240v transformer with 12v secondary offers galvanic isolation, you can also connect the 12v COM to earth ground, the same as your PC P.S is for safety.
Max.

kentpachi

Joined Mar 30, 2018
So where is the PC powered from?
Actually a 120/240v transformer with 12v secondary offers galvanic isolation, you can also connect the 12v COM to earth ground, the same as your PC P.S is for safety.
Max.

how about this bro?

Ill use a booster
https://shopee.ph/8W-USB-Input-DC-D...wer-Supply-Boost-Module-i.56540719.1005401202

5v to 12v

Will this work?

my pc is powered with my 700w power supply, I have a spare pwoer supply im not using and use it to power my peltier module and some gadgets that I test but not permanent power source though