can i get killed by high voltage test set up

khatus

Joined Jul 2, 2018

Hello guys This is High voltage(AC. freq= 50hz) test set up for testing ground insulation of Main pole and interpole coil of traction motors (dc series motor).The leakage current is set to 300mA (max).That is if any ground insulation fault is detected, this device allows max 200mA to pass before it's trips(probably Current sensing relay is used ).my question is Can i get killed by high voltage(as high as up to 8kV)??
because if current is 200mA and voltage is 8KV, The power transferred to my body is (0.2 * 8000 = 1600 watt)

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Yes, that can certainly kill.
You might want to consider adding an audible alarm when the high voltage is on to warn you.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012

Hello guys This is High voltage(AC. freq= 50hz) test set up for testing ground insulation of Main pole and interpole coil of traction motors (dc series motor).The leakage current is set to 300mA (max).That is if any ground insulation fault is detected, this device allows max 200mA to pass before it's trips(probably Current sensing relay is used ).my question is Can i get killed by high voltage(as high as up to 8kV)??
because if current is 200mA and voltage is 8KV, The power transferred to my body is (0.2 * 8000 = 1600 watt)

It takes 30mA to produce irregular heart beats, 100mA seizures and over 100mA to stop the heart beating with probes across each hand...with as Little Voltage of 42V! !!

https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/physics/p616/safety/fatal_current.html

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
At the very least it will feel like the 'Hulk' punched you in the chest before you fall over with smoke wisping from the arc marks and leave you sore for days.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012

looks like it probably has a current trip for leakage testing - tripping indicates failure.

doubt if its all that dangerous, but can probably cause nasty arc burns. a shock isn't likely to be pleasant.

Test prods should have insulating shields a few inches in diameter.