Can a multiplexer dealing with a signal that has higher voltage than the supply voltage?

Z'YonG

Joined Feb 2, 2017
Hi everyone, I am looking for a through hole type multiplexer that can switch on and off a 40V signal.
I am not sure what kind of multiplexer that I should use.

I have circuit that is supplied by 6V DC voltage. and inside the circuit, I have a DC-DC Convert which boost up 6V DC voltage into about 40V DC Voltage. I have combined it with the signal that I want to send. So now I have a 40V High peak PWM signal.
I want to send this 40V signal to 9 different pins, but I want my MCU to know which pin that I am sending to. So I am looking for a multiplexer or switch that can input 40V signal, and have at least 9 output pins that I can switch on/off.

I have searched online, and only found ADG5206 Multiplexer which can be supplied by 40V power, but it is SMD type.
I am wondering, if a multiplexer is designed for 6V power supply, and I have connect it to a 6V power supply and set it up correctly, am I able to send a 40V signal through the multiplexer( from input to output switch)? For the 40V signal, do I have to look for a multiplexer that is designed for 40V power supply?
If yes, and I cannot find any 40V through hole type multiplexer, is there any other ways that I can use?

Thank you in advance!

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It's not clear what you want to do.
Is the multiplexer sending the signal or is it just for monitoring where the signal goes?

If its sending the signal, what's the load current?

Z'YonG

Joined Feb 2, 2017
It's not clear what you want to do.
Is the multiplexer sending the signal or is it just for monitoring where the signal goes?

If its sending the signal, what's the load current?
I am sending the 40V signal to a 16:1 multiplexer as an input, and a MCU decides to turn on which switch to allow the signal to go through the multiplexer to the pins that I want it to go.
I could not remember the load current, but I think it is pretty low, so should not be a problem. But 40V DC voltage is something that I am worried about.

Z'YonG

Joined Feb 2, 2017
DG406 is rated at 44V max.
I had a look at that one as well, in the datasheet, it said that "V+ to V- is 44V", is it means if I connect V- to ground, I can connect V+ to 40V? Because on the RS Components, it has specified "typical single supply voltage of: 9 V, 12 V, 15 V, 18 V, 24 V, 28 V", but in the datasheet, I didn't see any specification about single supply voltage limit.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I am wondering, if a multiplexer is designed for 6V power supply, and I have connect it to a 6V power supply and set it up correctly, am I able to send a 40V signal through the multiplexer( from input to output switch)?
In every analog multiplexer chip I've ever seen, the signal voltages MUST lie somewhere between the positive and negative supply voltages; they cannot function (and most likely will be damaged or destroyed) if the signal voltage is more positive than Vs+ or more negative than Vs-. I know of no exceptions. So I believe the answer to your question is "no."

JUNELER

Joined Jul 13, 2015
Hi,
you had said you have an smd type, why not use it for the meantime. Solder the pins of smd to ic socket on the top. The lower pins
goes to through hole pins. Then see the result .Once it works fine.

Z'YonG

Joined Feb 2, 2017
Hi,
you had said you have an smd type, why not use it for the meantime. Solder the pins of smd to ic socket on the top. The lower pins
goes to through hole pins. Then see the result .Once it works fine.
The SMD type that I got is ADG5206, a 28 pins multiplexer that can be supplied by 40V. I was thinking about to use it, but I could not find any ic socket that has same size as the multiplexer.