Can 2 hall sensors be connected in Parallel ?

Rodge123

Joined Apr 5, 2023
Hi,

We are working on a new project and want to connect two 5v hall sensor potentiometers to one DC brushless motor so they can be operated from different positions on the machine. Can they be connected in parallel, if so what if they were both operated simultaneously by mistake, would it damage the control circuit ?

Thanks

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC.
The effect of the two pots would depend on their design and on the design of the control circuit.
Please post the pot specifications and a schematic of the control circuit.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
The logic of this idea makes no sense to me.

"operated from different positions on the machine"

These pots create analog output signals, if one is set to max and the other to min- what do you expect to happen?

They fight, and nobody wins.

Rodge123

Joined Apr 5, 2023
The logic of this idea makes no sense to me.

"operated from different positions on the machine"

These pots create analog output signals, if one is set to max and the other to min- what do you expect to happen?

They fight, and nobody wins.
Would it damage the circuit though ?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
From post #3, it seems the control circuit is expecting logic signals plus a 5V PWM pulse input. I don't see how analogue Hall sensor pots could be directly connected to that.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
IF the sensors are providing a variable resistance function and the two outputs are connected in parallel, the result would not damage the controller they were connected to, but it might damage the hall effect devices themselves. And no matter what, the results would be a bit unpredictable.
To have a speed adjustment control function from different locations could be achieved by adding a remote selector control function relay, such that an operator could take command from either position. But probably that is unsafe.
The solution could be a single remote operated potentiometer equivalent with digital inputs to request "faster" or "slower" in small increments, ifthe other control position has released control.

Rodge123

Joined Apr 5, 2023
IF the sensors are providing a variable resistance function and the two outputs are connected in parallel, the result would not damage the controller they were connected to, but it might damage the hall effect devices themselves. And no matter what, the results would be a bit unpredictable.
To have a speed adjustment control function from different locations could be achieved by adding a remote selector control function relay, such that an operator could take command from either position. But probably that is unsafe.
The solution could be a single remote operated potentiometer equivalent with digital inputs to request "faster" or "slower" in small increments, ifthe other control position has released control.
Thanks for the advice, the machine is only small so no issue with two operators. One hall switch would be a food pedal and the other a hand throttle. I may opt for the selectable switch between the two. I am not sure if all three wires would need switching or just one or two of the 3.