Calculus for Dummies?

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I thought about posting this in "homework" but it is not school related - just hobby stuff...

Is there an easy way to solve second-order differential equations? Specifically, I would like to solve the equations found on this web page.

Can someone steer me toward a website explaining "erf" and "exp?"

My hope is to be able to graph carbon concentration versus depth for a given temperature, time, and starting carbon concentration.

Thank you.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Not making my own steel yet, though a buddy of mine is doing so.

I'm into blacksmithing and knife-making. Decarburisation of the steel during forging and heat treating is a concern with some steels and some procedures. I'm just looking for the boundries of the "ballpark."

Edit And thank you for those links! I will wade through them as best I can.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
You find the MathWorld site a little daunting to read, try: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_function

You may also want to do a search for "Error Function Tables", which will give the solution to erfc(x) for different values of x. Its a little easilr than wading through the calculus.

Exp is just the simple exponential function, defined as:

e^x = 1 + x + x^2/2! + x^3/3! + x^4/4! .........

And this is easily solved with many calculators.

Dave

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Originally posted by Dave@Dec 19 2005, 04:24 PM
You find the MathWorld site a little daunting to read, try: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_function

You may also want to do a search for "Error Function Tables", which will give the solution to erfc(x) for different values of x. Its a little easilr than wading through the calculus.

Exp is just the simple exponential function, defined as:

e^x = 1 + x + x^2/2! + x^3/3! + x^4/4! .........

And this is easily solved with many calculators.

Dave
[post=12574]Quoted post[/post]​
Sweet! Thanks Dave! Thirty seconds on Google was all it took to find an error function table!