Calculating the Internal Resistance of a Voltmeter

Discoveries

Joined Oct 15, 2015
Hello,

I'm required to use the Voltage Divider Rule to find the resistance of the Voltage Source, an ammeter, and a voltmeter in the circuits respectively below:
The first problem I'm having is trying to determine what the resistance is at Ri for the first circuit. I discussed this with a friend of mine and he gave me a formula but it didn't make sense. How can I use the Voltage Divider Rule to find the resistance of Ri?

I read this part of the textbook which helped: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/direct-current/chpt-8/voltmeter-impact-measured-circuit/

However the link above didn't explain how I can find the resistance I need to solve the problem.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
how did they describe the voltmeter and the ammeter? Did they indicate the ohms/volt for the voltmeter and a max reading for the ammeter?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
You have two unknowns, you need two equations.

The third circuit has one unknown, use that circuit to find resistance of the voltmeter.

Then plug resistance of voltmeter into first circuit to find Ri.

Then use Ri in second circuit to find resistance of ammeter.

Discoveries

Joined Oct 15, 2015
You have two unknowns, you need two equations.

The third circuit has one unknown, use that circuit to find resistance of the voltmeter.

Then plug resistance of voltmeter into first circuit to find Ri.

Then use Ri in second circuit to find resistance of ammeter.
I'll give that a try and get back to you! Thanks!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Do they tell you what the voltmeter is reading in the first circuit? If not, then there is no way to find Ri because you could but any Ri in there that you want and nothing changes as far as any of the information you have supplied.

Discoveries

Joined Oct 15, 2015
Yes I realized that we can't actually find Ri. I'm actually considering that my instructor has missed an attachment in our assignment. There are no other instructions other than to use the voltage divider rule to find the missing values and internal resistances. English isn't their first language so I'm sure they will clarify this in the next class.

Thank you everyone. :)

Also is there a way I can request that this topic be marked as solved or a way I can get the thread locked to avoid any further discussion?