Calculating potentiometer size in a simple circuit

Billy B

Joined Oct 2, 2017
Hi all,
I am a newbie, so please go easy on me. I am connecting x6 PC fans in parallel for a GPU mining rig I am building and I would like to have the option of regulating the fan speed to control noise. The fans are simple brushless 12 V with a power input of 0.84W and a 0.07 A rated current (+/- 10%). In my calculations, I would have a 5.04 W demand in my parallel connection. Is a potentiometer the best means to control voltage and thereby fan speed? I am concerned of frying the potentiometer with 5 W and I found that I could purchase a 25W wirebound potentiometer. (see link below)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/High-Pow...660637&hash=item3f7b7352ba:g:L~EAAOSwjqVZCB4x

Is this overkill? I am concern that I won't get much range to control speed with this thing. Is there a different rating potentiometer that would be more appropriate or perhaps a different approach all together?

Thanks

Billy

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
A brushless fan has its speed controlled with a Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) circuit, not with a simple series resistor.
Then it can start slowly if you want and it does not waste a lot of power making heat in the series resistor.

Billy B

Joined Oct 2, 2017
Hi Dendad,
Thanks for your suggestion. I was very excited to see the link which is exactly what I am after, except when I read the clause 'This can NOT be used to the BRUSHLESS motor.The controller is NOT reverse-polarity protected and will be damaged if connect the supply voltage with wrong polarity.

Any suggestions?