Calculating impedance from a simulation

Elevon

Joined Jun 7, 2020
When calculating the input and output impedance for a simulated circuit that contains an AC power supply, is it appropriate to use rms values for the voltage and current?

ZCochran98

Joined Jul 24, 2018
I would think that's fine - all RMS is, for a pure sinusoid, is a scalar multiple (0.7071) of the "actual" voltage. So if you are consistent and used RMS for everything, you should be able to calculate impedance without issue. There's no "better" way to calculate the impedances, though - you can use RMS and normal voltage and current and get the same answer, as long as you don't mix them.

Elevon

Joined Jun 7, 2020
I would think that's fine - all RMS is, for a pure sinusoid, is a scalar multiple (0.7071) of the "actual" voltage. So if you are consistent and used RMS for everything, you should be able to calculate impedance without issue. There's no "better" way to calculate the impedances, though - you can use RMS and normal voltage and current and get the same answer, as long as you don't mix them.
Thanks for the quick response, this was perfect to help me with my understanding!