Cache

FreddoAvishi

Joined Mar 8, 2019
Hi guys, I've a homework question that's already solved but I really need to understand how the answers on the table are like this !
So please it would be much appreciated if you illustrate how the filled answered on the table assigned like this!
The question is: given a processor with address of 12 bytes which the processor connected to Cache sized as 16BYTE, size of the block is 4byte, the cache is write allocate, write through, two way set associative. LRU is the mechanism if there's any exchange ..
here's the table that's already answered but I need to understand how it's answered(filled) like this?! and how AMAT claculated?

I'm attaching down a photo of the table..

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi guys, I've a homework question that's already solved but I really need to understand how the answers on the table are like this !
So please it would be much appreciated if you illustrate how the filled answered on the table assigned like this!
The question is: given a processor with address of 12 bytes which the processor connected to Cache sized as 16BYTE, size of the block is 4byte, the cache is write allocate, write through, two way set associative. LRU is the mechanism if there's any exchange ..
here's the table that's already answered but I need to understand how it's answered(filled) like this?! and how AMAT claculated?

I'm attaching down a photo of the table..
Excuse me, but it is far from obvious how this table was filled in. Did you fill it in or did you find someone else who filled it in?

FreddoAvishi

Joined Mar 8, 2019
Excuse me, but it is far from obvious how this table was filled in. Did you fill it in or did you find someone else who filled it in?
I didn't fill it, if so as I wouldn't post the question :)
I will clear out, you've cache with two way set associative that getting address/data as obvious on the table (second column), and the command is either read or write (Command of getting access to the address for read or for write) ..

**someone yeah filled it and it's right answers.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I didn't fill it, if so as I wouldn't post the question :)
I will clear out, you've cache with two way set associative that getting address/data as obvious on the table (second column), and the command is either read or write (Command of getting access to the address for read or for write) ..

**someone yeah filled it and it's right answers.
So this section is called "Homework Help", not "Homework Done For You". You need to show some industry here and give us your best guess as to how the table was filled in. That way we can point you to the solution.

FreddoAvishi

Joined Mar 8, 2019
So this section is called "Homework Help", not "Homework Done For You". You need to show some industry here and give us your best guess as to how the table was filled in. That way we can point you to the solution.
but sir I dont know how to start ! I'm not depending on others , you can ask me through your illustration/explanation question to examine me and moving forward in your explanation.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Using the Socratic Method:
  1. What does the initial condition of the cache look like?
  2. Does it have known values?
  3. Is the initial condition indeterminate?
We know the first access will be a miss, because we know the initial condition must not have any useful information.
Now:
  1. Hows does the content of the cache change after the first miss?
I suspect that you have additional information that we do not posses. How about doing a complete reveal.

Last edited: