Cable locating device

Jayvin

Joined Mar 8, 2015
Hello guys, i have a small project where i have to inject a signal of 1kHz in a cable and capture that signal using an antenna. The antenna is http://www.ebay.com/itm/191369474966. First of all the antenna does captures the signals as from 50Hz. So frequency, wavelenth are not an issue. I just need to design a transmitter that will create an electromagnetic field big enough to be easily captured by the antenna before i can condition the signal.

I am not really good in RF. Is current more important or voltage? I would be injecting a square wave of 1kHz.
If voltage important, should i step up the voltage to about 60V or more for a better transmission? Most existing transmitter use 60V for signal location.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
What sort of cable? Mains, co-ax, CAT5, .....?
Cable length, impedance, .....?
How is the far end of the cable terminated?

Jayvin

Joined Mar 8, 2015
Power lines. For this project i will be testing only single core or double core cables

If needed the cable can be directly connected to the transmitter. Normally, the GND from the transmitter and the end of the cable should by earthed using earth rods. At high frequencies this is supposedly not required and i do not know why.

For my project, i have a 5m of wire and the two ends are connected to the transmitter and i have to create a big EMF around the wire.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You will probably find that 2.4 GHz is greatly attenuated by damp soil. Commercial buried line detectors use signals in the several kHz to perhaps the high tens of kHz range.

Jayvin

Joined Mar 8, 2015
You will probably find that 2.4 GHz is greatly attenuated by damp soil. Commercial buried line detectors use signals in the several kHz to perhaps the high tens of kHz range.
I was going to use 1kHz or 10kHz.

This is how commercial systems work
http://www.vivax-metrotech.com/UploadFiles/flash/PipeCableLocation.swf

Actually this is my goal in this project. When i checked the captured signal from the antenna i received 50Hz signals easily. Since the power lines are transmitting high amount of current, maybe thats why i am capturing the signal.

this guy managed to do it.