C18 Compiler on Vista

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Has anyone managed to get Microchip's MPLAB C18 Compiler running on Windows Vista? We have a few Vista machines we would like to put in on for remote working.

There doesn't appear to be any information on Microchip's website or in the release notes on Vista support for C18 - must be a taboo word!

Dave

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Hi Dave,

I got the C18 working on my Vista laptop for a few months now. IIRC, I didn't need to do anything special to make it work, just a normal install.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hi Dave,

I got the C18 working on my Vista laptop for a few months now. IIRC, I didn't need to do anything special to make it work, just a normal install.
Hi n9352527,

Thanks for the information I'll pass the message on and have a go at installing it on my Vista machine in the new year, I would have thought Microchip would have made it clearer that C18 is compatible with Vista in release notes or at least in a press statement.

Have you experienced any issues hooking a PIC up to your Vista PC? i.e. are there any driver issues for communicating between the PC and the m/c unit?

And, its nice to see you posting again at AAC after your recent hiatus - welcome back :)

Dave

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
I use PICkit 2 to develop on my laptop and a custom board for USB development, using the 18F2550 and 18F4550 with USB bootloader. No problem with both of them, so far.

I did experience problems with Hi-Tech C compiler, which I use occassionally. It didn't like Vista, and I moved it to an XP virtual machine, except that VMware 5.5 refused to recognise and pass my USB PICkit 2 and custom board to the XP system.

Thanks, it's sure nice to be back again :D

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I use PICkit 2 to develop on my laptop and a custom board for USB development, using the 18F2550 and 18F4550 with USB bootloader. No problem with both of them, so far.

I did experience problems with Hi-Tech C compiler, which I use occassionally. It didn't like Vista, and I moved it to an XP virtual machine, except that VMware 5.5 refused to recognise and pass my USB PICkit 2 and custom board to the XP system.

Thanks, it's sure nice to be back again :D
Thanks once again. I use a custom board for an 18F452 which we designed many moons ago for the purposes of visual development and debugging. I think I'll need to dig out the old lab book to see the finer details - it may be a suck-it-and-see approach.

I've never used the Hi-Tech C-compiler so cannot comment directly. Have you considered running XP through a different VM; MS Virtual PC possibly?

As for C18, I'll let you know how it goes, and post back my musings if I notice anything weird.

Dave