buzz in earbud speakers

daneaux

Joined Feb 13, 2007
I have installed 3.5 mm stereo jacks on two pieces of exercise equipment and have a buzz from both. I connected a wire to the b channel output on my stereo amp and ran it acroos the room to a terminal strip. Then I connected each stereo jack to the terminal strip. Now I have the buzz when I plug in my earbud speakers and the volume level has to be set very low.

What have I done wrong?

Daneaux

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Are you using twisted pair or small coaxial cabling for the signal to the earbuds? If not, you are probably picking up 60 Hz hum induced over the length of the wire.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If you connect right at the amp, do you still hear the buzz? If not, something about the wiring is not quite right. If so, then you need to verify the ground. Some amps like to have separate gounds for the left and right channels.

daneaux

Joined Feb 13, 2007
beenthere,

I'll try that out today. The headphone jacks do use a common terminal for ground.

I'll also remove the wires to one of the headphone jacks.

Thanks,

Daneaux

daneaux

Joined Feb 13, 2007
I took a patch cord with RCS jacks on both ends and cut one end off. I wired the headphone jacks on the equipment to the wires on the patch cord and plugged it into the headphone jack and no more problems. Volume level is the same for the speakers and the headphones and no more buzz.

I guess the headphone jack is a 16 ohm output.

Thanks for the help.