buy chipless rfid tags or something similar

JJoll

Joined May 7, 2013
Hi, I am devising a system to sort out 4 types of different material into 4 different bins in an automatic fashion. For this I was thinking
of using some sort of cheap tag on each item that can be read to see whether it is type 1,2,3, or 4.
what kind of tagging system can I use for this? any recommendations?
- A 2 or 3 bit tag would be enough.
- cost is very important

I though of chipless RFID tags but I could not find place where I can buy them. They are cheaper than ordinary
rfid tags, and have enough capacity for my work. They are radio wireless based therefore making automation easy.
I would appreciate it Do you know where can I purchase couple of chipless rfid tags? or you have any other alternative.

thanks

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Not enough information given. What material? But one idea that may work is as close as your local store. Instead of RFID, why not a laser scanner and bar codes? This is done not only in stores but almost all type of industry.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What exactly is a chipless RFID tag? You have to have something to make a signal, ginning it up out of whole cloth or thin air just won't work McGee.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Well certainly capacitors come in chip form, but inductors probably not so much. Inductors can be printed on a PCB, but on an ID tag what kind of capacitors are used for an LC tank?

JJoll

Joined May 7, 2013
Not enough information given. What material? But one idea that may work is as close as your local store. Instead of RFID, why not a laser scanner and bar codes? This is done not only in stores but almost all type of industry.
I am trying to sort into plastics, glass, metal, and paper.
Barcode and scanner need human interaction. You need to have an operator to scan the container. I want to automate the system so that when a proximity sensor detects the container, it also find out the type of material it is.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I am trying to sort into plastics, glass, metal, and paper.
Barcode and scanner need human interaction. You need to have an operator to scan the container. I want to automate the system so that when a proximity sensor detects the container, it also find out the type of material it is.
So how do your RFID tags get on the materials then? A printer generated bar code sticker is going to be way cheaper than the RFID chips. The airports do the bar code and scanner without human intervention, sorting luggage. Automated storage systems do it in industrial plants. How is the RFID not going to need the same human to do the sorting that you claim a bar code does?

JJoll

Joined May 7, 2013
LC tank tags should work if they use different frequencies, if that is chipless enough for you.
thanks, I just was checking these LC tank tags that you mentions. I read that they are being operated at resonance peak anywhere from 1.75 MHz to 9.5 MHz. Since I have 4 different types of material to label do you think it is possible to have the label 1 with peak resonance of 1.75 and label 2 =2.5 MHz, label 3= 5 MHz and label 4 = 9.5 MHz and through a detector read the resonance thus determine what kind of label it is?? does this look feasible to you? also do you know how metals affect operation of these sables? would they interfere with metallic containers? thank again