Business etiquette

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
There can be cases where you don't really have an option. I know several business sectors here in Greece where the cash flow is so low lately that it's the norm that you don't get paid until months later for your product.

It's really sad that people have to work in such uncertainty. I bet it taints you from the inside out.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
when you work for someone 'on contract', the key is in the contract. Spell out your payment terms, and the associated penalties, including the fact that they will pay for your expenses incurred in recovering owings. Expect delays. A 30 day net will almost always be stretched to 90, often with an attempt to discount. Hold firm, using the power of your contract to enforce. If supplying parts, use a seperate sales contract that specifies your warranty (supplier's), exemption from damage, third party liability, etc.

Over the years, I have put together an inventory of used but working AB Controllogix parts. I have contacted the local companies and technicians to let them know I have them available for lease. The contract is boilerplate with the usual, you acknowledge this, and accept that, etc. The payment terms are a cash down, term payable by, penalties herein, etc.

I have only had a couple of defaults on smaller customers. One still calls and makes some excuse why he won't be present should I arrive. Good luck bud. In most cases, good work is rewarded, and as you know, a good troubleshooter can save a ton of money for those in need. Don't be afraid to charge your worth. On the other hand, supplying parts can be tricky, as you'll be caught inbetween, often paying to maintain your 'position' with suppliers, while chasing 'accountants' who are doing a wonderful job for thier employers by extending payables.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
to respond to your original post, I'd say the content of your email is too general. You could expand on your skill set, who you've serviced, and more specifically how you and your recipient can work toward a partnership. I prospect more toward those that have a specific need, ie; preventative maintenance, breakdown repair, overhaul, management. That typically means calling in on maintenance managers, owners, production managers, etc. Remember that in many cases suppliers have thier own technicians, or are aligned with established companies, and you'll be seen as a competitor. In other words, don't trust them. You'll actually be negotiating with or against them as you'll often have the purchaser (end user) on your side. A bad referral from them can put you in a pickle real quick.

Personally, I'd draft a professional sales brochure, basically a pumped up resume, and call on those that need your service. As far as parts go, let the client purchase from thier preferred source, or you can 'pickup' a line and go head to head with local suppliers, taking on a dual position as repairman and salesman.