Building a Variable Speed Power Supply for My "No Frills" Treadmill

Newbie001

Joined Jul 8, 2014
First, to all the electrical engineers that will see this post and shake their heads in frustration...I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge.

OK...I have a treadmill that I've ripped down to the bare bones that I'm attempting to build a NO FRILLS power supply for. I'm going to bypass all the current existing circuitry and safety features and tie directly into the Hot, Neutral and Ground wires on the motor.

The Information on the motor reads as follows:

2.25 HP Continuous Duty Motor
Manufacturer: Johnson Intigrated Drives
Model: JM01-013
Volts: DC90V
RPM: 3150
AMPS: 20A (s6 25%)
Insul.: F
AMB.: 40*C

I want the power supply to have two controls:
1.) An On/Off Switch
2.) A Dial Type Rheostat for Speed Control

Any help/designs/Input or charity to an electronically challenged guy will be greatly appreciated as I currently know almost nothing!!

Thanks Everyone!!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You won't run this motor on AC, if that is what you are thinking of doing, a bridge rectifier would work, but no speed control, you would be better off looking for a KB/Baldor SCR drive off ebay, they can be had for as low as $15.00.
You will not be happy with a simple Rheostat kind of control.
But you will if you place a controller between it and the motor!;)
Max.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
You will need to put in a bridge rectifier, like this motor control circuit

you will need to uprate the triac and bridge to suit the motor current.

Last edited:

Newbie001

Joined Jul 8, 2014
Dodgydave...I dont suppose you could identify the new sizes of the components i'd need in order to build the circuit you showed in your reply for the motor on my treadmill could you...?

My Motor...
2.25 HP Continuous Duty Motor
Manufacturer: Johnson Intigrated Drives
Model: JM01-013
Volts: DC90V
RPM: 3150
AMPS: 20A (s6 25%)
Insul.: F
AMB.: 40*C

Newbie001

Joined Jul 8, 2014
What do you intend to use the motor for?

I intend to build a NO FRILLS power supply for my treadmill by bypassing all of the current existing circuitry, circuit boards and safety features and then tie the new power supply directly into the Hot, Neutral and Ground wires on the motor that drives the treadmill.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I intend to build a NO FRILLS power supply for my treadmill by bypassing all of the current existing circuitry, circuit boards and safety features and then tie the new power supply directly into the Hot, Neutral and Ground wires on the motor that drives the treadmill.
You intend using this to replace the, (probably) tach controlled motor controller on an active T.M.?? :eek:
Max.:rolleyes:

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
you only need to change the triac to a Bta25-600, and the bridge rectifier as I posted earlier,these are the only current carrying components. As you already have a speed PCB, these components will be on the PCB,post photos of the circuit board and I can show them.

Last edited:

Newbie001

Joined Jul 8, 2014
OK...Just an update.

I ordered all components yesterday plus a generic blank circuit board from radio shack for assembly.

I'm sure I'll have tons of questions during the assembly phase but I greatly appreciate all the assistance so far!!