building a simple circuit

lenski

Joined Nov 2, 2007
can anyone help me build a circuit. also provide the electronics i need as well as a diagram. I have a open momentary switch that closes a circuit dry that gives one closure per push. i need that output to give me 3 quick rapid outputs. if adjustable in nanoseconds per output that would be helpfull. I have 1.5 volts dc low low amp supply i can use or i can use a aux power supply. this circuit has to be small as possible.

thank you
len

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
What is meant by "close a circuit dry?"

Which output is "that output?"

By "adjustable in nanoseconds" do you mean "very very quickly auto adjusting" or "adjustable pulse width in a range of several nanoseconds," or "adjustable pulse repetition rate in a range of several nanoseconds?"

What have you tried so far?

What is your end application?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The proposal might be more interesting to somebody if an offer of payment was made. It sounds as if you are going to take credit for the design and mechanization (which is well beyond a hobby interest), so payment seems entirely in order.

lenski

Joined Nov 2, 2007
you got to be kidding this is a simple circuit i am trying to do this with a chip not with relays. money, payment this is not what this form is about. how dare you tell me that i am going to take credit for something, this is project for my son. also you are a moderator spend time reading Dave's message on posting instead of insulting good people and children projects. you job is to help, explain, guide not to discredit good people. if this question was posted wrong follow daves guide lines, not insult people.

this post of yours beenthere is out of line and as a moderator help people don't falsely accuse without merit.

len

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
no need to get agitated,
if u need assistance answer Mr thingmaker3's queries.
it wud be better if u post ur work so far so that members can point out possible flaws.

GS3

Joined Sep 21, 2007
A pulse generator with a counter would work but may be a tad complex. A 555 monostable givin a pulse of T duration and opening a gate for another astable 555 oscillator running at 3X the frequency so that 3 pulses get through might also work. I can't think of anything simpler.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
can anyone help me build a circuit. also provide the electronics i need as well as a diagram. I have a open momentary switch that closes a circuit dry that gives one closure per push. i need that output to give me 3 quick rapid outputs. if adjustable in nanoseconds per output that would be helpfull. I have 1.5 volts dc low low amp supply i can use or i can use a aux power supply. this circuit has to be small as possible.

thank you
len
I am interested in learning what is dictating the need for nanosecond resolution in your application.

A rough sketch of what you have in mind would help move the discussion along.

hgmjr

lenski

Joined Nov 2, 2007
a dry circuit is a circuit that has no voltage or power running through it.
nanoseconds something less then a second. i would like to have 3 pulses in less then a second.
if i had a momentary switch that connected to a chip that on closure dry or wet (power or no power) that activated a gate in the chip that produced 3 pulses regulated or not ( time wise that is nanosecs. ). is there a chip that can do this.

GS3

Joined Sep 21, 2007
a dry circuit is a circuit that has no voltage or power running through it.
That makes no sense. If nothing is running through it then there's no way to know if the switch is open or not. I found
answers.com

dry circuit (electricity) A relay circuit in which open-circuit voltages are very low and closed-circuit currents extremely small, so there is no arcing to roughen the contacts
Ok, I get the idea. A switch controlling an electronic input would be more than adequate.
nanoseconds something less then a second. i would like to have 3 pulses in less then a second.
Wait a minute! There are 1,000,000,000 nanoseconds in one second. If you want three pulses in less than a second then each pulse can be something like 100,000,000 nanoseconds. You need to be more clear on what it is you need.
if i had a momentary switch that connected to a chip that on closure dry or wet (power or no power) that activated a gate in the chip that produced 3 pulses regulated or not ( time wise that is nanosecs. ). is there a chip that can do this.
As I said, I can think of some simple ideas that might work but your requirements are not quite clear so it is difficult to say what exactly might be what you need.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Advertising and product names (e.g. Ipod Nano) have led many in the general public to think that nano means small. As GS3 pointed out, it actually has a specific numerical meaning.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
funny, in engg we come across nano so often it is 10^-9 of the unit it is attached to wonder how a single marketing product be so confusing.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
For Len:
Okay. How about each push of the button resulting in three pulses of 0.125 seconds duration, one every 0.25 seconds. We can throw in an adjustment to change pulse frequency and duration together. Will that fit the requirements for this project?

For the experts:
If so, could one rig a 555 with adjustable frequency, and gate the clock into a divide-by-three counter via a gate? Gate would in turn be controlled by a latch triggered by the switch? Borrow or carry from the counter would reset the latch?

lenski

Joined Nov 2, 2007
close a momentary switch any voltage and get 3 quick pulses ( open and close (pulses) ) from that on one closure of the momentary switch.

len

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
When you say "any voltage," do you mean

1) don't really care about what size battery we use, but will always use the battery eventually chosen

2) must run from different power sources in a given range (if so, please give the range!)

or

3) must work from any power source from scant millivolts to ungodly megavolts

?
:confused:

lenski

Joined Nov 2, 2007
yes that do fine, for voltage, low draw battery voltage is fine 1.5 volt aa. the circuit you described would be fine. that's all i need.

thank you,
len and son

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007

thank you
len
The smallest circuit would probably be an 8-pin microcontroller. The next smallest (and easier to build without a uC programmer) would be a 556 IC, with one half controlling the second half, which would actually give the three pulses.

Still interested in the project??
--Rich

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
The miscommunication was resolved to the satisfaction of Beenthere, Dave, and Lensky a while back. Off topic posts have been removed by me.

lenski

Joined Nov 2, 2007
have you given any thought on my project. i understand a 556 ic will work
in duel mode will this give me what i need. i so can u explain the circuit that i will need i have the pin arrangements.

len and son

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Folk are probably getting tired of my linking to Tony Van Roon's website, but he's got the best 555 tutorial I've come across so far: http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/555/555.html

You can make half of the 556 an astable with frequency of (for example) 10 Hz and 50% duty cycle. You can make the other half a monostable with a period of (for this same example) between 0.25 and 0.30 seconds. Tie the output of the monostable to the reset of the astable. Trigger the monostable with your pushbutton. While the monostable output is high, the astable will run.

ashokcp

Joined Mar 8, 2007
I don't understand why the subject of profit ever arose. There have been hundreds (thousands?) of requests for circuit design help on these forums, and I don't recall seeing this issue come up in the past. Did I miss something in one of the OP's posts?
I guess the 'nanoseconds' resolution requirement, which puzzled me too, which made the project really sophisticated, and, for some special application which ought to be commercial. Only after someone explaining, I realised that iPod nano has redefined the meaning of 'nano' to lots of people differently!