Build a digital photo frame

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you know how to program with the Arduino there are a number of projects you can tackle to gain more experience.
For example, you can build a project based on the following stages:
1) Build a digital stopwatch using discrete 7-segment displays.
2) Replace the 7-segment display with a 16-character alphanumeric display.
3) Replace the 16-character LCD with a graphics LCD module
4) Display a photo image on the graphics LCD module.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Mea Culpa!

There are many ways to skin a cat and I hope you find one to suit your requirements. As there are also many ways to respond. Unfortunately, while I thought I was being helpful - I now realize how much I failed at that, thanks to KeithWalker.

So, please ignore my responses as they were unhelpful.

Here’s another article in making a photo frame with an Arduino…

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Mea Culpa!

There are many ways to skin a cat and I hope you find one to suit your requirements. As there are also many ways to respond. Unfortunately, while I thought I was being helpful - I now realize how much I failed at that, thanks to KeithWalker.

So, please ignore my responses as they were unhelpful.

Here’s another article in making a photo frame with an Arduino…
Hey dj, KW did not call names.
For all you know, I could be the one at fault. In my opinion, all the lines you struck out are still valid points.
We don't know much about the TS, their knowledge and experience. Until they respond with more details we can only go by what has been posted so far. TS has only asked vague questions in four posts so far. Don't be so hard on yourself.

trivettegiacomo

Joined Nov 8, 2022
Thankyou all for the replies! the frame i want to build should have these characteristics:
  • No clock to turn the frame on and off, just an external button
  • 1 single image or video to show and so no slideshow function
  • No input devices (SD, USB FLASH, etc) to support, i manually put the file inside the microprocessor harddrive
  • No touchscreen and controls,
  • No audio output
  • 24'' full hd or 4k display.

trivettegiacomo

Joined Nov 8, 2022
and i would like to know if in your opinion is possible to use a battery or the consumption is too high and i should connect it to the home power line

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Before you get started, you mentioned battery power.
Most Arduino and all raspberry pi's are power Hungary. So are LCD displays.
How long do you expect the batteries to last? More than 10-hours is unlikely unless you plan to have a large brick-sized battery pack. Even 10-hours will be a challenge if you expect "thin" to be part of your design.
Apple is able to make an iPad thin because they are made by the millions, which justifies custom parts, custom sized/shape battery and a very large team of engineers and materials experts.
let us know your expected battery run time, screen size and display technology (LED, LCD with LED backlights, or OLED).

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I won’t say anything more since I have already been chastised for trying to insert reality into this discussion.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thankyou all for the replies! the frame i want to build should have these characteristics:
  • No input devices (SD, USB FLASH, etc) to support, i manually put the file inside the microprocessor harddrive
  • No audio output
This requirement list looks odd to an informed eye.

First, if there is no intention to change the image, why bother with the LCD display? Printing a photo is cheaper and can have better results if done well.

Microcontrollers like the Arduino have no hard drive. What did you mean by this? It would be far easier to use an SD card to store even one image than most alternatives, even if you never intend to change it.

A 24" display, on its own, is going to be impractical to run on battery power for more than a few hours—and even that would require a very substantial battery. Driving a 4K display is not something an MCU like an Arduino will do without a lot of trouble. A Raspberry Pi, which has HDMI output could do it, if you can find a Raspberry Pi Zero it would probably work very well.

Also, your "No" items... why would we assume any of that? You need to focus on the positive requirements. It would help a great deal if you could describe how you intend this to be used. What problem is it solving? Why do you want it to exist?

WIth the information you've provided so far, it doesn't seem to be a practical idea which is why so many people felt you needed to know that.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
  • No audio output
Thanks for responding with more information. Now let us examine some specific details.

24" display is much bigger than a handheld 8" photoframe.
You are looking at a wall-mounted or desktop 24" TV with HDMI.
A quick search for portable 12VDC TV (such as Jensen JTV24DC) reveals power consumption of about 30W. You can run this from a 12VDC 7Ah SLAB (sealed lead acid battery) for about 5 hours.

For computer, you can look at a raspberry pi zero as @Ya’akov suggested.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
  • No audio output
Now you mention a 24" hd display!
That can not be run by an arduino and it will not be very thin unless you are prepared to spend an awful lot of money on it.
I can not help you with this one.
Good luck!

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
  • No audio output
There are a lot of things that I'd like to have in my life but, unfortunately, physics and price seem to get in the way. I foresee that physics and price will be hurdles for you as well. Everything seems easy and cheap until you learn the details. Good luck.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The Samsung is very nice, and there is also this. I considered getting a couple of them for the living rooms since I have thousands of photos and can't print them all. I may still do that.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
The Samsung is very nice, and there is also this. I considered getting a couple of them for the living rooms since I have thousands of photos and can't print them all. I may still do that.
Why would you get a $500 1080p display for $500 when you can get a Samsung frameless display in 4K resolution for the same money?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Why would you get a $500 1080p display for $500 when you can get a Samsung frameless display in 4K resolution for the same money?
The Canvia is designed for displaying photos and paintings. It has ambient light detection and adjusts to match the light so the item being displayed looks reflective rather than backlit.