Brushless Motor Control

Octony5

Joined Sep 5, 2019
My daughters hoverboard died so I salvaged the motors. I am trying to use the motors and battery to power a toy 4-wheeler for my twin 3 year olds. I purchased a controller and throttle and have it wired up but cannot get the motor to turn. See attached schematic. When I flip the switch on the throttle the battery display LCD turns on and shows the voltage which matches what I read with my meter. When I check voltage between the Red and Black throttle wires it reads about 5 volts. When I check between green and black it modulates depending on how much throttle I give it between 0 and 5. When I measure the voltage across the hall sensors I get 0 or 5 volts depending on the motor shaft rotation. From what I can tell the controller seems to be working however I cannot get a voltage on any of the three motor power wires and the motor will not spin. I have tried plugging the autolearn wires from the controller together and then to the autolearn wire on the motor. I then disconnected the autolearns and tried the 36 combinations of wire and hall sensors and still have not been able to get it to turn.

I can't read Chinese but the limited information that came with the controller said that the door lock must be connected or there would be no electricity. Since I can see the power through the throttle and know the throttle output is working I think I have it wired correctly. Here are links to the purchased parts:

https://www.banggood.com/36-48V-350...-1194278.html?rmmds=category&cur_warehouse=CN
https://www.banggood.com/36V48V60V7...5.html?rmmds=category&ID=229&cur_warehouse=CN

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Normally if you feed the motor with the 3 stator leads, you only need to try the six combinations of hall leads A,B & C.
Max.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
That seems a very complex controller .... over a dozen wires coming out of it . What do they all do ???

This is what RC enthusiasts use to drive their brush less motors (many sizes available some over 1KW) ...

A fraction of the size , just two wires for power in ... 3 wires out for the motor/s ... and the speed adjuster wires.

Octony5

Joined Sep 5, 2019
The controller I bought is for an e-bike. I thought I needed a controller with hall sensor wires? I am guessing the problem is with the door lock wire. Nothing says what the voltage to it should be. It seems like the controller is working but just not sending power to the motor.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
The motor is BLDC and uses hall sensors for commutation.
Max.
So I guess hall sensors arn't used in applications with predictable loads , like model airplane propellers A fixed frequency is fed in , and round it goes , if too great a load the thing just stalls ... it's exactly the same as a 3 PH mains synchronous motor ...

But with hall sensors the speed is sensed and the frequency adjusted to get maximum torque?

Is that right???

mlsirkis

Joined Aug 11, 2010
So I guess hall sensors arn't used in applications with predictable loads , like model airplane propellers A fixed frequency is fed in , and round it goes , if too great a load the thing just stalls ... it's exactly the same as a 3 PH mains synchronous motor ...

But with hall sensors the speed is sensed and the frequency adjusted to get maximum torque?

Is that right???
No. Hall sensor detects rotor position. Depending on rotor position the hall devices sequentially switch stator windings causing the rotor to give chase. Typically a speed reference signal is compared to a speed signal from the motor. The difference (error) controls the current in the stator to maintain the desired speed. As the load on the motor increases (more torque requested) the motor will slow slightly and the motor controller will increase the stator current to maintain speed. The amount of torque delivered to the load is the amount needed to maintain the desired speed.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
To expand slightly, the BLDC motors are also used in servo applications where position/RPM is sensed and this feedback is used to accurately control the motor.
The Hall effect is purely for commutation.
In a BLDC motor, only two winding's are energized at any one time.
Max.