Blue Bell recall

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
Love blue bell... I think their expansion has got the best of them... they have been growing outside of TX a lot in the last 3 years or so... I think the expansion has reduced quality.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
A 100% recall, things must be pretty bad.
I wouldn't make that leap. I see it as pro-active and a sign of good will. Whatever the incident ends up costing, including all products in the recall won't cost that much more and it helps throw a rope around the whole mess.

Microbiological problems are a special problem because it takes time to test and detect the problem, and it's often more of a statistical problem. Routine testing might be only 5th batch, for instance. If a positive test comes back, then you have to scurry and estimate the scope of the problem. Meanwhile you might have contaminated product in the market. An abundance of caution is the right move.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
obviously overkill on Blubells part. I purchased a half gallon over a week ago when local stores first restocked. Ate the whole thing and no one in our family suffered an infection. Just an over abundance of caution it seems.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
First Blue Bell and today I read this:

Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams has issued a widespread voluntary recall on all flavors of its Ohio-made ice creams, frozen yogurts, sorbets and ice cream sandwiches and closed all of its retail scoop shops because of possible contamination with potentially fatal Listeria monocytogenes.
Have to wonder about the test methods for Listeria. While I know absolutely nothing about this sort of stuff isn't it a bit peculiar?

Ron

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
No, not really. It's a bit rare to have simultaneous outbreaks in the news, but I wouldn't read anything into it.