Blinking an led using an op amp, capacitors and photodiode.

jeffereyf98

Joined Feb 15, 2018
Hello,

I am new to circuits and I have just recently designed a "dark sensing" circuit using an op-amp, a photodiode and an led at the output. Is there a way to have two less at the output of the op amp where one turns on when the photodiode is covered and another one blinks when the photodiode is covered. I can not seem to get this to work. Thanks!

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
To get it to blink you will need an oscillator made from another op amp, 555 chip, or transistors ...or use a flashing led.

jeffereyf98

Joined Feb 15, 2018
To get it to blink you will need an oscillator made from another op amp, 555 chip, or transistors ...or use a flashing led.
I understand this. However I need one led to blink and on every led to light up. The voltage at the output changes when the photodiode is covered. Would I feed the output of the regular led into the input of another op amp and make the oscillating circuit?

Threeneurons

Joined Jul 12, 2016
Here's a video of one, I made a few years back:

Of course, no semiconductors used:

But, I suspect you want one that uses low voltages, and components that are not in the antique category. Your choice of photodetector may not be the best for a simple project. Photodiodes are fast, but their output current is very low, and needs amplification. For your needs a phototransistor may be a better option. In fact a common LED can be used as a photovoltaic detector. Yes, LEDs will output a small voltage, when hit with light ! Put your voltmeter leads across a simple red LED and shine a bright light at it. It will output several hundred millivolts, into the 1M+ load of your typical DVM.

Here's a quickly drawn circuit:

Last edited: