Best method to test Circuit Breakers?

Art

Joined Sep 10, 2007
Hi Guys,
I have some circuit breakers that I'd like to identify.
Is there an easy way to tell how many amps they will cut out at
without a bunch of power supplies with known ratings?
Thanks, Art.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
You'll need a supply capable of exceeding the breaker's current rating, and a variable or switched resistance capable of dissipating not less than (breaker's Ampere rating * test voltage). Ohm's Law applies, as always. :)

eeboy

Joined Sep 27, 2007
You could simulate an over current condition on the bench but depending on the rated trip current of your breakers this could be a bit impractical. What type of breakers are these? They should be marked.

One thing you'll have to keep in mind is that there is a time current characteristic curve associated with all breakers (TCCC). Your tripping point is not a set value. It is defined by the TCCC. This curve basically relates the tripping time to the current. However, you should still be able to identify the breakers nominal trip point.

Art

Joined Sep 10, 2007
Thanks for the replies. I guess I was being silly hoping there was an easy way like just
asking it or something.
I'll link to a picture in a minute.
I think the one I'm looking at is 6 Amp, but can't use it till I'm sure.

Art

Joined Sep 10, 2007
OK,
Here's a pic:

All different pics of the same unit.. hard to capture the printing on the unit.
I say I think it's 6 Amp because "C6" is the largest printing on the front.
The Eaton website doesn't reveal anything when I search for any number printed on it.
Art.

eeboy

Joined Sep 27, 2007
I would suspect you are right. I would think it's a 6 Amp breaker belonging to the family of 'C' curves.

I don't see any voltage or fault current ratings on the breaker.

Art

Joined Sep 10, 2007
Thanks. :) There is more printing on the side.
Do I really need to know what this means to cut power to a solar charge controlelr if something goes wrong?
It's supposed to be a 5 Amp fuse, but I was hoping to substitute it with this, and maybe another at the AC
output of an inverter.
The charge controller is supposed to be able to handle 25% exceeding it's rating for five minutes.

Art

Joined Sep 10, 2007
Ah, yes that's the one, thanks guys for the help, much appreciated. and so prompt!
Now to crafting a dodgy DIY rail for two of them.... had one for years I never thought
I'd use as a hobbyist, and here I am.... threw it out a couple of months ago!

Art

Joined Sep 10, 2007
Turns out you guys (and I) were right, I think they are 6 Amp.

I organized this industry standard DIN rail (nothing dodgy or DIY about it at all),
and away we go :)

and how it looks outside:

Sexy eh? :)
Cheers, Art.