Best DMM for low frequency measurement

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
You'll never be unhappy with a Fluke 87v.
0.5Hz to 200kHz (per specification) but can measure higher frequencies (up to 1.5MHz) if input voltage is 7 to 20v p-p

rsjsouza

Joined Apr 21, 2014
Any recommendations for a multimeter that excels at measuring low frequency ie..10Hz-100Hz ?
Based on this specificatikn alone, a great deal of handheld multimeters work very well at 100Hz, but your lower range is the problem as the vast majority is specified up to around 30 or 40Hz.

I personally have reviewed many meters and most of them can measure lower frequencies, but the only one that actually says 10Hz on its specs is the Richmeters RM113D. Sure, it may be a matter of how much you trust it, but I got it quite accurate at this frequency in my tests. (no relation with the brand nor earn anything with it). With regards to build quality, the RM113D is above its class of ultra-cheap meters - better built than most Aneng models. Better built units and with very good electrical robustness can be found in other brands such as Brymen (BM235, BM257, BM786, BM869 are popular models). Mechanically speaking, a few select models from Uni-T are well made, but they tend to lack electrical robustness.

You'll never be unhappy with a Fluke 87v.
0.5Hz to 200kHz (per specification) but can measure higher frequencies (up to 1.5MHz) if input voltage is 7 to 20v p-p
Fluke 87V has a specified bandwidth of 5kHz, unspecified up to 20kHz, not 200kHz. Also, the lower range specified is 30Hz, thus above the OP's range. Regardless, it is a good multimeter but it will be overpriced for the application if maximum safety is not needed.

Reference: page 45 of its manual:
https://dam-assets.fluke.com/s3fs-public/80v_____umeng0200.pdf?tKDGTic.KN0dP9_UJVtSyLsuYWEUp3SY

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Umm, which page are you looking at? With or with out the filter?
I looked at Page 49. And, specified or not, it's pretty damn accurate up to 1.5MHz when I compare it to my 10-digit counter. Let me know which page you were reading...
Here is page 49 of the doc you posted.
D3F50161-856F-48BD-A011-0E476488D83D.jpeg

rsjsouza

Joined Apr 21, 2014
@MrSalts , this is for frequency measurement. Re-reading the OP's post, I have the impression he wants to measure voltages at such low frequencies, but I can see it leaves room for interpretation and he might be wanting to measure the frequency itself as you said.

As for the manual, page 45 shows the VAC specifications over the frequency range.