Best chip to generate time delays

belxiors

Joined Jan 27, 2017
Hello everyone.

I need to choose a good chip to generate time delays. What are the most used chips? I read about 555 timer and 4047b monostable, but i wonder if there exist more. This is for an aplication that require a large range time delay and a nice percision. I'm not worried about power consuption and components associated, only on choosing the most accurate chip. People have told me that 555 have some problems with percision. Is it true?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Try a CD4060 or Cd4040 for long timings.
What timing range do you need, Astable or monostable with retrigger?
The cd4060 has a built-in oscillator, whereas the cd4040 needs clocking.

Last edited:

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hello everyone.

I need to choose a good chip to generate time delays. What are the most used chips? I read about 555 timer and 4047b monostable, but i wonder if there exist more. This is for an aplication that require a large range time delay and a nice percision. I'm not worried about power consuption and components associated, only on choosing the most accurate chip. People have told me that 555 have some problems with percision. Is it true?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
How long a delay? ns, us, ms, seconds, minutes,, hours?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hello everyone.

Yes, it is true.

But before we can answer your question appropriately, you have to tell us what is your meaning of "large range time delay"
and "nice precision".

Please state your response in numbers with appropriate units.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
A micro-controller driven by a crystal oscillator is very flexible for generating precise delays from microseconds to years.

The crystal provides the accuracy, the code can be configured to divide the clock to create a precise delay.

belxiors

Joined Jan 27, 2017
The point is to create some circuit that code information into time delays. So its very important that I can distinguih between delay values. I'm looking for some chip to introduce delay with minimum error, from ns to ms (top max) (one of them, us ideal). LTC6994-1 looked good

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
The point is to create some circuit that code information into time delays. So its very important that I can distinguih between delay values. I'm looking for some chip to introduce delay with minimum error, from ns to ms (top max) (one of them, us ideal). LTC6994-1 looked good
That gets you ms. ns or us are difficult to get from a microprocessor. ns speeds you can get from monostable multivibrators, 74121, 74122, 74123, 74221, 9601, 9602, 4538 and such. Chips can react faster than programming, but lack "smarts".
Perhaps your solution is monostable multivibrators under the control of a micro?
You will need to get specific about what you want to accomplish.