Benchtop power supply with 9v and 1.5 volt outputs

truwebs

Joined Apr 2, 2016
I am buidling a benchtop power supply from an ATX power supply. I understand using the color codes how to accomplish 12v, 5v, and 3.3v connection connection ports.

How could I add 2 more power ports for 9v and 1.5 volt?

Basically I am trying to minimize the use of batteries in my testing with most common power sources. Any other options I should consider

I have read a little about the -12v and -5v being obsolete power options. Is there any need for these voltage outputs for a newbie electronics hobbiest?

Thanks,

TRU

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
There are 9v reglators: LM7809 or its clones. And I'm sure that there are 1.5v regulators too but they are rare.

In any event, you can simply take a regular adjustable regulators, and put two resistors to them to make them 9v/1.5v regulators. The calculation is trivial and always laid out in the datasheet of the devices you do use. Just make sure that their feedback voltage is less than 1.5v - they are generally the case.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
A #12 noted, minus voltages are often used for audio op-amps, since a normal ground-referenced AC audio signal goes above and below ground.
If you use only one supply for a audio amp then the audio needs to be DC offset so that the signal never goes below ground, and that requires additional parts.