beginner's question on data display.

forder

Joined Sep 20, 2007
Hi.. I'm a junior in a university in malaysia. I'm working on a project of a liquid temperature sensor using thermocouples sensor (required). The temperature data is to be displayed on two 7 segment display, which shows the temperature of the liquid. I need some suggestions on building the system since microcontrollers, PLD and other programmable logic components are not permitted to be used. My biggest concern is how to convert the data from the sensor (temperature data) to voltage and also what component should I use to get the display? I did some research but most of temperature sensors use micro controllers but in this project, microcontrollers are not allowed. Some hints and ideas are really appreciated.

I forgot to tell you something. When I worked on a similar project, the two LED display digits had to be fed separately. So if you use an 8-wire bus which splits in 2 groups of 4 wires, each group going to a display driver, you have to perform bit-shifting to the left (most significant bit) on the most significant decimal digit.

My ADC IC was driven by a computer, so I can't advise you exactly what to do.

forder

Joined Sep 20, 2007
yes.. that is also one big problem for me.. if I have 8 bit containing data that has two digit display (which is the value of the temperature), how do I display them on two 7-segment displays? What decoder chip should I use?