Beginner needs circuit design help for 555 timer project

RigidCollision

Joined Dec 10, 2018
Hi Guys,
I am embarking on a new project to design a circuit for an automatic vehicle signal actuator.

The goal of the project is this:
The problem.
I have a car that has indicators operating on a standard 12v on-off-on toggle switch. As you can imagine this switch gets left on occasionally. Both misleading and potentially dangerous.
The solution
Replace the toggle switch with a 2 way momentary switch and create a circuit that supplies 12v to the correct circuit for 5 seconds. In addition, the timer is continually reset when 12v feed from the brake circuit is applied. As soon as the brake this feed stops, the 5 seconds starts again.

Effectively, this allows a a lane changing signal as well as a solution for waiting at junctions or to cross a stream of traffic.

I would imagine a 555 timer would be the way to start with this (or a 556 dual timer).

From what I can tell I need to use 'Monostable' mode.

Where do I go from here!?
Is the 555 (556) the right choice?
Is it a robust solution?

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Before you start on this project, have you checked that modifying the car's electrics in this way is both legal and insurer-approved where you live?

RigidCollision

Joined Dec 10, 2018
Before you start on this project, have you checked that modifying the car's electrics in this way is both legal and insurer-approved where you live?
Yeah, we're cool. :)
As you can imagine, a car with a toggle switch indicator system is not a standard thing anyway.

brezel1111

Joined Dec 19, 2018
You could divide the brake signal to ttl level and lead it to the reset pin. You'd have a pullup/puldown resistor depending on high active/low active brake signal. This way you would have one timer for the blinking - astable - and a timer set for 5 sec or whatever you want - monostable. There might be a better way but I this way you would need 4 555 timers: 2 for left and 2 for right.
The monostable will enable the astable timer.

RigidCollision

Joined Dec 10, 2018
Hi, Thanks for the diagram.
I was going to use a 556 (effectively a doubled up 555 timer) and inject the new circuit to 'hijack' the current toggle switch and provide a power feed to the existing blinker in the wiring loom. I would also imagine that the sensible thing would be to use a couple of relays to handle the vehicle current?

I would also imagine that the sensible thing would be to use a couple of relays to handle the vehicle current?
If you hijack the toggle switch, you dont need the astable timer or realys - mosfet might be better here anyway. There are many many ways to go for it, you just have to make up your mind: )

Last edited:

RigidCollision

Joined Dec 10, 2018
I assumed a 555 timer was the only real solution, so any advice is always appreciated. The MOSFET is a real simple solution but I am concerned about heat. Any other options?