beginer

qwerty

Joined Jan 11, 2007
im doing engineering and have i have just started studying microprocessor.can any one tell me what else and in what sequence do i need to learn in order to get a sound and wide base of knowledge in electronics.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Can I ask what you have already studied as part of your engineering course?

I will move this to the Electronics Resources forum where this is better suited.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hi qwerty,

I would recommend in future that you post up follow up questions in the forums, personal e-mails often get lost in the depths of my inbox!

From your e-mail you seem to have a good general grounding (BJTs and FETs), but for the purposes of microprocessors may wish to look more towards MSI/LSI/VLSI implementations. You say you have learnt "digital", from this I assume you mean digital design techniques: design tools, view points, HDLs, rudiments of DSD components (combinatorial, sequential, and FSM [both control and data] design), design methodologies through to implementation. Then if so you should look at the next step which is how these elements are integrated into a complete design. The best text I have come across is the Weste and Harris book (website: http://cmosvlsi.com/) which sadly is quite expensive but provide a superb introduction and analysis of microprocessors from the perspective of VLSI circuit deisgn, focusing on the MIPS processor. I suggest you look at getting from your institute library to see if it pitches in at a level you are comfortable with. You can also use All About Circuits - Volume IV as a reference tool.

Dave

qwerty

Joined Jan 11, 2007
hi dave, can you suggest me a project if i do could help me in getting acquainted with the things practically.i hav done quite a number of experiments (digital,analog,communication) but at a very basic level for example making simple circuits with counters,F/Fs etc.maybe if i do something at a higher level i would gain a better understanding.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I would suggest you look at doing the theoretical ground work first - the above book and websites are a good starting point. To help your theoretical understanding, you could also look at the Socratic Project for questions to test yourself - go to the Digital Circuits section.

Then you could look at using a HDL to implement a design (this is a hardware approach, i.e. you are implementing a hardware design) - say a lock mechanism that only opens when a certain numerical sequence is input. Also look into microcontrollers as an example of a specific function microprocessors (this is a software approach, i.e. you are implementing functionality using software on the existing microcontroller hardware) - there are hundreds of practical projects for implementing a design. This approach will be good since it will introduce you the inner workings of a microcontroller which mirror those of a microprocessor.

Either of these appraoches will introduce you to many of the components that constitute the building blocks of digital circuits, including microprocessors. From that you will be in a strong position to understand the theory you have looked at previously.

Hopefully that will give you a little food for thought.

Dave

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H General Electronics Chat 11