BeagleBone integarted ADC or external one ?

Oussama Zaidi

Joined Mar 1, 2016
Hi
I am using BeagleBone card to read some analog signals, I had read in some places that using integrated ADC of Beagle is not a good idea because it can be damaged easily, is that true, can I use BeagleBone ADC or it will be better if I use an external one?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Any device can be damaged if you abuse it. Read the spec sheet, do not exceed any maximums in your use of said device and all should be good.

Take care the source you are measuring cannot generate any harmful signals. If it can add a protection network to keep them out of that input pin.

Oussama Zaidi

Joined Mar 1, 2016
Any device can be damaged if you abuse it. Read the spec sheet, do not exceed any maximums in your use of said device and all should be good.

Take care the source you are measuring cannot generate any harmful signals. If it can add a protection network to keep them out of that input pin.
protection like what? if I use a voltage follower, did it protect the circuit from any damage ?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
What voltage follower? What protects the follower if it gets that over voltage?

If you accept loosing the follower can you be sure it will not pass along that same over voltage?

Even using an external converter you can still damage that with an OV. Same rules apply.

Let's step back: what are you trying to measure?