battery temperature sensor

abouabdelmajid

Joined Aug 20, 2017
Hi everyone.
Can anybody tell me how to make a battery sensor temperature ? i tought about using LM35 and sticking it on the battery so i can figure out the temperature with arduino but it seem not a practical way for me because i think there must be some way to know the temperature by measuring the curent no ? anyway i am just saying ... can anybody help me how to buld one ?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
...i tought about using LM35 and sticking it on the battery...
That's the way I'd do it. The mechanical challenge of getting good thermal contact with the battery and minimal contact with anything else is maybe the bigger problem.

And you might want to amplify the the LM35 output with an op-amp circuit. This has advantages and disadvantages, the main disadvantage being that the temperature range you can measure will become limited by the power supply voltage. For example, the LM35 will output 500mV at 50°C. If you add an amplifier at 10X gain, you'll need at least 5V from the supply. But I'm not sure how well the Arduino can handle, say, 200mV at 20°C. You might get more precision if you amplify. If you don't need great precision and the Arduino alone is good enough, don't bother with an amplifier.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
That's the way I'd do it. The mechanical challenge of getting good thermal contact with the battery and minimal contact with anything else is maybe the bigger problem.
Put the LM35 in a little piece of polystyrene foam and tape that to the battery. This will insulate the chip from the environment so its temperature will better match that of the battery.

abouabdelmajid

Joined Aug 20, 2017

And you might want to amplify the the LM35 output with an op-amp circuit. This has advantages and disadvantages, the main disadvantage being that the temperature range you can measure will become limited by the power supply voltage. For example, the LM35 will output 500mV at 50°C. If you add an amplifier at 10X gain, you'll need at least 5V from the supply. But I'm not sure how well the Arduino can handle, say, 200mV at 20°C. You might get more precision if you amplify. If you don't need great precision and the Arduino alone is good enough, don't bother with an amplifier.
Thank you for your informations