Battery Consumption and Power Drainage.

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by dou2abou, Sep 25, 2016.

1. dou2abou

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Hello,
    I'm trying to power an 18F4550 (PIC 3) which is a microcontroller that requires 5 Volts of power. Since I'm not an expert when it comes to electronics, here's my idea of how to do it.

- Use a 5V voltage regulator.
    - Use a capacitor to provide a clear signal.

Question is:
    - If I use a 5V voltage regulator, what would be the difference between using a battery that provides 6V or more? In other words, would using a 6V battery or a 11V battery make any difference? or does it simply mean that my 11V battery would last longer than a 6V battery?
    - How do I figure out how long my battery would last?
    - If the voltage regulator's job is to regulate voltage, do I still need to use a capacitor to provide a clear signal? If so, how do I pick my capacitor?

Thank you for your patience.

2. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Welcome to AAC!
    It depends on the type of regulator. A 6V battery would require either a 'low drop-out' linear regulator or a switched mode (SM) regulator. A linear regulator with an 11V battery would waste a lot of energy.
    Not necessarily. The duration depends on the capacity, i.e. ampere-hour (Ah) value, of the battery. For example, a 1Ah (1000mAh) battery will (in theory) supply a 10mA load for 1000mAh/10mA = 100 hours.
    You read the regulator's datasheet to find the recommended capacitor value.

dou2abou likes this.
  3. dou2abou

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Thank you for your answer.